While school is suspended, the Library has databases and resources that your child can use to continue learning. We’ve also curated some resources on helping children cope right now. If you need free Wi-Fi or meals, both are also available through Spectrum and the Department of Education, respectively. Plus, check out our virtual storytimes.
Check out our teen resources.
For younger school-age children, visit our databases page, especially:
- Biblioboard, a primary source database featuring historical books, articles, images, maps, documents, and more.
- BookFlix, an online literacy resource from Scholastic.
- Brainfuse HelpNow, which provides free, on-demand, easy, and engaging eLearning, including tutoring and homework help,
- Britannica Elementary, a site that lets you look for people, places, and things, with video and games.
- Britannica Academic, which includes Encyclopedia Britannica and Merriam Webster's Collegiate dictionary.
- Britannica School, which is for all grades and all reading abilities.
- Kids InfoBits, a collection of more than 550+ age-appropriate magazines for kids grades K-5.
- "Fighting Climate Change," an interactive educational resource from the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey
- Scholastic Home Base, games and stories from your kids’ favorite books
- Scholastic Learn At Home, day-by-day projects to keep kids reading, thinking, and growing
Spectrum is offering households with K-12 and college students free Wi-Fi access and broadband (high-speed internet) for the next 60 days. For information, call 844-488-8395 or go to spectrum.com.
- How To Talk To Your Kids About Coronavirus
- How to De-Stress Your Kids
- Encouraging Healthy Habits During the Coronavirus Outbreak
Free meals will be available Monday-Friday from 7:30am to 1:30pm at 400 locations across the city. Visit here for more information on which locations will offer meals.
Facebook Live Virtual Storytimes
Enjoy these storytimes with our librarians and other readers, and thank you to all the authors and publishers who have given us special permission to read their books!