This unique reference collection consists of specialized books and publications, many of them issued in limited editions; newspapers, both current and those which have ceased publication; family manuscripts; historical maps and atlases including Belcher Hyde and Sanborn Company maps; late 19th- and early 20th-century photographs.
How to Access
Customers can access the division's holdings through a number of methods. These methods are based on the type of material.
- Books and magazines accessible through Aqua Browser(the Library’s online catalog), the Division's card catalog and OCLC
- Manuscripts accessible catalog records through Aqua Browser, OCLC, RLIN and Excelsior and accessible finding aids through Manuscripts Gateway and ArchiveGrid
- Maps & Atlases tables organized by type of map and location.
- Photographs in-house searchable image database.
- Vertical files in-house index divided by subject and neighborhood listing the contents of the vertical file.
- Newspapers listed by title and area covered, also listed on the New York State Newspaper Project's website.