DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Senior Library Custodian provides technical support and guidance to Community Library Managers in the training, supervision and evaluation of custodial services in branches. Provides agency inspections; generates reports to the Director of Facilities and appropriate departments/agencies regarding findings, and recommends work orders where needed.
- Inspects branch custodial equipment and recommends replacement or overhaul as required. Oversees special custodial projects at various agencies. Assists in coordinating branch closing and re-openings, furniture moves, and carpet cleaning.
- Monitors contractual services to ensure obligations are being met by vendor. Monitors custodial supplies regularly. Evaluates new custodial products and equipment, and makes recommendations to purchase as appropriate.
- Collaborates with Community Library Managers to ensure custodial coverage as needed. Responds to branch emergencies. Provides phone coverage for Facilities Office to facilitate staffing/coverage. Provides guidance and training for custodians, utilizing approved methods and procedures. Reviews overall work schedules for custodial staff and coordinates additional tasks with library management. Provides supervision, guidance, and ongoing training development on daily work and special projects for Junior Library Custodians (JLCs), Assistant Library Custodians (ALCs), and Library Custodians (LCs).
- Oversees all carpet and hard floor cleaning, care, and maintenance for all library agencies. Monitors and may assist with general heavy industrial cleaning of building and restrooms and replace toiletries as required. Unclogs sinks and toilets as needed. Performs some heavy lifting as needed. Reviews and provides guidance with agency inventory, custodial materials and equipment for the building. Monitors and may assist with general grounds care, including but not limited to monitoring grounds, sweeping sidewalks and removing weeds from cracks and crevices. Shovels snow creating a minimum 5-foot pedestrian’s path on all sidewalks. Reports trees needing removal. Checks roof drains and exterior floor drains for clogs and reports findings to appropriate department.
- Reviews and coordinates assignments from work orders entered into the service request system (Remedy). May enter work orders in Remedy and follow up with appropriate staff to ensure issues are addressed and resolved in a timely manner.
- Informs the Community Library Manager (CLM) of monthly supply needs. Reports safety and security hazards to CLM. Monitors the monthly Fire Alarm Test and records it as required.
- Assists with performance review process of custodial staff by providing detailed performance information to the Director of Facilities. May participate in the interview and selection of LCs, ALCs, and JLCs.
- Facilitates the routine inspection of air handling units and/or air conditioning, as well as all other equipment. Monitors, provides guidance, and may assist with minor repairs and maintenance of custodial equipment such as snow/leaf blowers, vacuums, lawn mowers, and various floor machinery. Performs furniture moves and early morning program set-ups as needed. Performs pre-season maintenance checks. Changes air conditioning and handling unit filters. Reports repairs that cannot be performed to the CLM or Facilities. Adheres to all Motor Vehicle Driver’s Safety Manual requirements. Conducts pre and post vehicle checks. Promptly reports all equipment and vehicle maintenance needs to the Director of Facilities.
- Performs other duties as required.
**Scheduled hours are 5:00AM – 1:30PM, Monday – Friday and alternating Saturdays. Occasional evenings and weekends may be required. **
- High School Diploma, General Equivalency Diploma, or High School Equivalency required.
- A minimum of six (6) years of custodial experience including a minimum of three (3) years of management experience is required.
- Proficiency with computers is required. Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications is a plus.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Must be available for emergency calls 24 hours, 7 days a week.
ABOUT QUEENS PUBLIC LIBRARY:
Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. We transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of offering pioneering programs and services to the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 65 locations.
TO APPLY: Please email your resume and cover letter to: QLcareers@queenslibrary.org and reference “Senior Library Custodian - QLWEB” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
The Queens Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.