DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Queens Public Library is seeking a Funding Analyst for Capital Projects. Reporting to the Director of Finance for Capital Projects, this position assists with the daily management and strategic analysis of capital budgets for the Queens Public Library portfolio of facilities throughout the borough of Queens. Participates in conceptualizing, planning, implementing and communicating construction and outfitting budgets to ensure that capital projects are adequately resourced, efficiently contracted, effectively published, and suitably equipped and furnished. This position, playing a critical role in reporting for capital funding, shall advance collaborative working relationships with internal and external stakeholders and shall touch upon all tasks associated with capital funding and communication. The position works with NYC public agencies such as (but not limited to) the NYC Office of Management of Budget and the NYC Department of Design and Construction along with a variety of QPL contracted consultants, contractors and vendors to deliver capital construction projects within forecasted and stated budgets. Perform other duties as assigned.
Financial and Budget Analysis
- Provides input and assistance to the Director of Finance for Capital Projects during the budget planning process and participates in budget strategy, analysis, forecasting, and resource allocation sessions to ensure that projects are well resourced and well managed.
- Assists with the production of documents, exhibits, and data associated with capital budget requests, fiscal year capital programs, system wide capital projects reporting, and the QPL capital project tracker – an online instrument designed to keep the public apprised of capital projects.
- Partakes in the application, structuring, and reporting of financial grants in coordination with the Queens Public Library Foundation.
- Participates in preparing internal and external long range, annual, and interim budgeting reports and inquires including funding requests to New York City Council Members, New York State Legislative Delegation, and the Queens Congressional Delegation.
- Assists with the preparation and monitoring of documents and exhibits that are needed to secure approvals and Certificates to Proceed (CP) from external agencies such as (but limited to) the NYC Office of Management and Budget.
- Supports the assembly of the initial outfitting documents for review by internal and external stakeholders and responds to requests for information.
- Assists in gathering, maintaining, and disseminating the correspondence required to initiate, comply, and obtain reimbursement in connection with NYC Grant and NYC Pass – Through projects and liaises with QPL’s Pass – Through and NYC Grant consultant(s).
- Collaborates with CPM’s project managers and QPL’s Legal and Procurement Departments in matters regarding the solicitation of consultants, vendors and contractors including processing Statements of Work (SOW), Change Orders (CO), and Requests for Payment.
- Organizes, records, and observes the vendor procurement and contracting process to ensure consultants, vendors, labor, and material are secured and mobilized in timely fashion.
- Works with CPM’s project managers and NYC DDC in matters regarding identifying gaps between forecasted and actual budgets and collaborates to align the project scope with the project budget.
- Assists with keeping the departmental operating budget in good order.
- Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of 5 years related experience in capital project management, accounting, finance, public administration, or a related field with an understanding of accounting and finance concepts, procedures, and industry accepted practices.
- Familiarity with an automated financial system (SAP or equivalent) and acquaintance with the NYC Financial Management System (FMS).
- Excellent skills with MS Office especially Excel with proficiency in Access as a big plus.
- Budgetary experience in construction projects of varying complexity, and size with value ranging from $35k to upwards of $50m.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, attention to detail and follow-up, and the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously with competing priorities and deadlines.
- A valid NYS driver’s license and the ability to travel locally using mass transit if necessary.
- Awareness of the rules and regulations regarding the use of public funds.
- Fluency in using SAP financial management software.
- Proficiency in using the NYC Financial Management System.
- The ability to read and understand construction drawings.
ABOUT QUEENS PUBLIC LIBRARY
Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. We transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of offering pioneering programs and services to the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 65 locations.
TO APPLY: Please send your resume and cover letter to Employment@queenslibrary.org and reference “Funding Analyst for Capital Projects - QLWEB” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
The Queens Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer