Jamaica FEASTS is Queens Library’s FREE training program to provide knowledge, tools, and resources to people who want to start and run their own food businesses in Queens.
Several talented students have graduated from Jamaica FEASTS, and we’re very pleased to share their holiday recipes with you!
Please prepare all recipes at your own discretion; Queens Library is not responsible for accidents, allergic reactions, or illnesses that occur because of preparation.
Nutty Zucchini Raisin Bread
from Tress Walker, MumsKitchens NYC
“This zucchini raisin bread was inspired by one of my Mums,” says Tress, whose sweet treats earned her a spot at the New York City Wine and Food Festival this past October. “She always serves squash or zucchini with every meal. This is a great recipe for the holidays—it’s decadent, but still healthy, and it will bring the whole family to the table.”
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup applesauce
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2¼ cups sugar
- ½ cup oil
- 3½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 3½ cups shredded zucchini
- Beat eggs, applesauce, vanilla extract, sugar, and oil together, using a standing mixer if you have one. Mix well.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously butter and lightly flour two 8”x4” loaf pans.
- In a medium bowl, sift together dry ingredients: flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Stir gently to combine.
- Shred zucchini, lightly packing it down as you measure it.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients (about ⅓ at a time) to your batter, mixing as you go, and then beat well to fully combine.
- With a rubber scraper or wooden spoon, stir the shredded zucchini, nuts, and raisins into the batter and mix well.
- Pour the batter into each prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out cleanly. (The bake time will vary depending on how much shredded zucchini you add to the batter.)
- Remove from the pans and let cool (on wire racks if you have them).
- For the topping, you can use a cream cheese icing recipe.