DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer and Senior Vice President, the Vice President of Investigations & Security is responsible for overseeing the Investigations & Security Department, and the direction, planning, development and management of the safety and security program for Queens Public Library’s (QPL) multi-site system. The goal of the department is to provide protection for the safety and security of staff, public and property. Duties include the development, implementation and administration of organization-wide safety and security standards, including drafting plans, guidelines and policies to ensure the ongoing of maintenance of safety and security, crisis and incident response, and disaster preparedness; the protection of property, loss and fraud protection, access and alarm control systems, and the day to day security operations. The Vice President of Security directs personnel involved in establishing, promoting, and maintaining all aspects of safety and security at Queens Public Library. Responsible for compliance with all federal, state and local laws, regulations, rules, directives and best practices pertaining to a library security system. The Vice President also partners and maintains relationships with local, state and federal law enforcement and agencies. This position is a critical member of the Leadership Team and reports to the Chief Operating Officer and Senior Vice President. The Vice President is also responsible for the recruitment, evaluation, and management of a diverse population of staff. Performs other duties as assigned. **Must be available 24/7**
Security Management and Strategic Planning
- Develops, directs and coordinates the implementation of a strategic plan consisting of goals, objectives, policies, procedures, and work standards for ISD.
- Develops and manages the department budget. Directs the forecast of additional funds and resources needed; directs the monitoring of expenditures and budgetary adjustments.
- Establishes operating guidelines and coordinates staff activities in matters such as organizational changes, performance standards, and work review and reporting requirements.
- Establishes and implements operational procedures for security activities, guarding/patrolling of physical property, and investigation of accidents and criminal acts.
- Directs and develops supervisory training programs for orientation of new employees and continued development of existing employees.
- Leads and manages prevention programs to prepare for and address emergency situations including active assailant, New York City-wide emergencies, emotionally disturbed customers, bomb threat/suspicious packages, workplace violence, hazard vulnerability, and more.
- Assesses and plans for and directly responds to security and safety requirements that support programmatic offerings including high visibility community and cultural programs, school programs, galas and more.
- Ensures effective use of a fire alarm system including appropriate responses to alarms and maintenance of relevant reports, records, and files.
- Reviews and approves all security equipment installations (CCTV, electronic access control and security hardware) for QL properties, to ensure standardization, adequate coverage and optimization of resources.
- Ensures the maintenance of a database for incidents related to safety and security.
- Ensures full compliance with all reporting requirements established for the security program.
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with the New York Police Department and Fire Department of New York officials and other law enforcement agencies on matters of safety, security and fire safety as they relate to the Library.
- Builds relationships with employees, Union representatives, senior management, and other stakeholders to foster and maintain a positive, collaborative, and productive workplace.
- Oversee the management and effectiveness of the contract security services, ensuring service levels agreements are adhered to.
- Remain current on new practices, trends and innovations in the field of safety and security.
- Work on special projects as assigned by the Chief Operating Officer.
Staff Supervision and Professional Development
- Develops a successful staffing model and leads the department’s recruitment efforts to ensure efficient utilization of available staff to provide coverage.
- Fosters staff development through the provision of career resources, training, continuing education, mentoring and guidance.
- Leads and manages a diverse team of security and safety staff.. Encourages the continuous professional development of staff and conducts regularly scheduled performance management plans (PMP’s). Ensures that performance documentation is maintained, up-to-date and accurate.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field required.
- Minimum of 10 years increasingly responsible leadership experience in a similarly sized or multi-site organization in law enforcement, corporate security, public sector security, campus safety or the equivalent.
- Knowledge of and the ability to direct the operations, services and activities of a comprehensive security program.
- Ability to identify and respond to sensitive issues, concerns and needs.
- Ability to prepare and analyze oral and written reports, decisions, conclusions or recommendations that are organized, clear concisely written and unbiased.
- Excellent customer service, oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and drive projects to completion.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to, understanding of, and respect for the diverse socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of QPL’s staff and customers.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a diverse environment.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with staff, customers, community partners and local, state and federal law enforcement and agencies.
- Must be knowledgeable with computers and operating systems (i.e. RFID, Windows XP, ACS Software).
- Must have a valid Driver’s License.
- License must remain valid throughout appointment in order to meet the transportation requirements.
- **Must be available 24/7**
- Master’s Degree and ASIS Certifications highly desirable.
- Preferred experience with the following technology, Gentec CCTV software, Sielox Card Access Software, Best Locking Systems and Ademeco intrusion alarm systems.
About Queens Public Library:
Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. Our mission is to transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of serving the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 66 locations.
Please send your resume and cover letter to Execsearch@queenslibrary.org and reference “Vice President of Investigations and Security - QLWEB” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
Starting annual salary range is $115,000 - $178,000.
The Queens Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.