DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer and Senior Vice President (COO), the Vice President of Facilities Management and Environmental Services leads and oversees Queens Public Library’s facilities management and environmental services. With 65+ service and operation locations in the Borough, the Queens Public Library offers robust services and collections to all of the communities of Queens. The Vice President of Facilities Management and Environmental Services oversees the Queens Public Library’s custodial, maintenance, and environmental service operations and associated staff at all its physical sites to ensure that all such sites are in excellent working order and can support the mission and vision of the Queens Public Library; establishes and maintains effective working relationships with all departments to provide a unified approach to all aspects of facilities management; leads the efforts and strategic initiatives for facilities and environmental services across the organization; and delivers quality customer service to internal and external stakeholders and customers, in partnership with Library Services, Capital Projects Management, Risk Management, and contractors and manages vendor performance. The Vice President of Facilities Management and Environmental Services will serve as the Library’s subject matter expert for sustainability and will develop and lead “green” initiatives across the organization. Additionally, this position will create policies and procedures to ensure a consistent, coordinated approach to sustainability. Performs other duties as assigned.
Facilities Management and Environmental Services
- Delivers strong operational performance by executing strategic plans and regulatory agency standards and programs, continually monitoring operations and completing assessments and necessary action plans to provide optimal, proactive, safely operating facility maintenance and custodial programs, which drive customer satisfaction.
- Develops practices to maximize efficiencies and identify where policies and procedures should be implemented.
- Maximizes the use of automated work orders and tracks all incoming, status, and closing of all work order requests.
- Identifies facilities maintenance and sanitation trends to determine corrective action and implements metrics to track and proactively address issues with capital improvement projects and new construction.
- Oversees the Library’s Sustainability Program.
- Directs and facilitates all intra-office service requests, intra-office moves, space utilization, and planning. Prepares and maintains building checklists, mechanical logs and status reports. Coordinates response efforts for building maintenance issues and building emergencies.
- Leads and directs the management of Environmental Services - the custodial and cleaning operations for Community Libraries, CEL, and other locations - to maintain the highest possible standards.
- Collaborates with the Health and Safety Department to ensure proper implementation of and training for all custodial staff on cleaning and disinfecting protocols.
- Partners with Capital Facilities Management and other departments to implement a program that ensures facilities are clean, safe, and comfortable. Manages custodial aspects of renovations and new construction.
- Provides overall direction and manages performance for all Facility and Custodial Maintenance managers, supervisors and front line employees, ensuring employee development, engagement and compliance with human resource related policies.
- Responsible for overseeing the development and implementation of the Library’s sustainability initiatives.
- Develops new initiatives to ensure the Library becomes more sustainable, and manages existing programs.
- Collaborates with other departments to ensure consistency within the Library’s sustainability efforts.
- Identifies and evaluates the organization’s risks, recommends solutions and monitors the implementation of procedures to maximize facilities and custodial services.
- Partners with Senior Management and leads the development, planning and execution of strategic plans to meet department and organizational goals. Ensures deliverables are met and develops standards of excellence to ensure consistency with projects and initiatives for both short and long term sustainability. Implements audit procedures to ensure contractors and other vendors’ work is completed efficiently and cost effectively. Evaluates current vendor and contractor response times and quality of work to ensure scope of work is met.
- Strategically leads and facilitates the Request for Proposal (RFP) process in the selection of vendors and contractors in partnership with the Purchasing Department. Partners with Risk Management and General Counsel as needed when construction or installation of building equipment has potential safety and insurance consequences.
- Supervises direct reports with approximately 100 maintenance and custodial employees.
- Responsible for all coaching, counseling, disciplinary action, performance management of all such employees and ensures developmental plans are instituted as needed. Implements training programs to promote the professional growth and development of the team.
- Manages a majority of unionized workforce and facilitates work in accordance with applicable policies, procedures and the collective bargaining agreement.
Budget and Financial Management
- Responsible for the approval and expenditures of all budgets relating to personnel costs, supplies, invoices from contractors and vendors. Meets cost saving targets through the establishment of budgetary controls, saving opportunities and tracking reports.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience as a senior manager leading facilities management and environmental services.
- At least 5 years of experience in sustainability, energy management or related field required.
- Demonstrated experience in planning, organizational risk assessment and vendor management.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the flexibility to work across business units and various levels of management.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment, handling multiple projects with tight deadlines.
- Master’s degree a plus.
- Certification in Facilities Management and/or HVAC Certification.
About Queens Public Library:
Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. Our mission is to transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of serving the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 66 locations.
Please send your resume and cover letter to Execsearch@queenslibrary.org and reference “Vice President of Facilities Management and Environmental Services - QLWEB” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
Starting annual salary range is $115,000 - $178,000.
The Queens Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.