DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides reference and advisory services to the diverse communities of Queens. Performs complex reference and research work. Explains and assists customers with the use of various formats of resources. Conducts training/teaching classes for internal and external customers in the use of Library resources, databases, computer applications, MS Office suite and internet.
- Conducts reference interviews and answers correspondence and inquiries on special reference subjects, through in-person, emails, and virtual services. Suggests and refers customers to alternative sources of information internal and external to the Library. Assists with the processing of reserves and inter-loan requests related to music. Determines usage patterns of collections by assessing frequency of circulation, physical condition and other criteria. Deliver programs and participates in outreach activities based on library goals and community needs.
- Develops and maintains Dewey range 780’s music literature and the MU 780’s music scores; evaluates, orders, and processes materials to ensure the collections are current. Maintains the collection with replacements and mending. Evaluates and processes book donations.
- Promotes library collection and services to the public, assembles and arranges displays of books and other library materials.
- Prepares booklists/bibliographies and develops library user guides.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The schedule for this position will include Saturdays and evenings.
- MLS/MLIS degree from an ALA-accredited library school.
- New York State Public Librarian’s Certificate.
- Fluency and knowledge of music sight-reading including full scores across all clefs, theory, harmony, counterpoint, rhythmic notation, composition, different voice ranges, knowledge of the four musical instrument families and their ranges, music history, musical styles including but not limited to folk music from around the world, classical (all periods), popular, rock, jazz, soul, blues, rhythm and blues, gospel, religious, opera (including librettos), musicals, motion picture scores, children’s etc.
- Must have the ability to work with a diverse population and effectively provide customer service to a large number of customers simultaneously.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills. Especially communications with musicians, teachers, performers, etc.
- Must be proficient with using Microsoft Office, internet searching/technology, personal computers, and other related technology skills.
- Must be able to use various song indexes for customer requests.
- Must work successfully in a team environment.
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for customer and public service.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Music or related field preferred.
- Reading knowledge of Italian, German or French a plus.
ABOUT QUEENS PUBLIC LIBRARY:
Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. Our mission is to transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of serving the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 66 locations.
TO APPLY: Please send your resume and cover letter to QLcareers@queenslibrary.org and reference “Music Librarian – QLWEB” in the subject line of the email. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
Starting annual salary is $64,526.
The Queens Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.