DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for the building maintenance of assigned community libraries and performing the following work but not limited to: electrical, plumbing, carpentry, drywall, framing, tape and spackling, lathing, flooring, painting, locks and hardware, roofing, furniture repair, plastering and masonry.
- Provides technical support and guidance to custodial staff when responding to branch emergencies. Provides agency inspections.
- Generates reports to the Manager of Facilities Maintenance and appropriate departments/agencies regarding findings and recommend work orders where needed.
- Analyzes work orders to develop priority for action and method of handling.
- Consults with vendors, contractors, and other outside agencies upon the initiation, review, and completion of contracted work assignments.
- Escorts vendors, contractors, and other outside agencies to assigned work areas and ensures that all security measures are in compliance with library standards.
- Responsible for work order tickets in order of priority to ensure appropriate level of attention within established time frame. Actions all work orders promptly and respond to all tickets within the time frame established to meet service targets.
- Proactively communicates to manager any open work orders and the potential of a breach in service target or the need to contract vendors.
- Provides clear, concise, and detailed reports using Remedy when escalating the work order to next level management or to the administrator (support representative).
- Reports all safety and security concerns to the Community Library Management and custodial staff.
- Maintains an inventory of materials needed to perform various work in vehicles.
- Conducts inspection and maintenance of equipment.
- Performs minor repairs and maintains custodial equipment such as snow/leaf blowers, vacuums, lawn mowers, floor machinery, and other equipment. Performs pre-season maintenance checks for assigned buildings.
- Reports repairs that cannot be performed to the Manager of Facilities Maintenance.
- Adheres to all Motor Vehicle Driver’s Safety Manual.
- Conducts pre and post vehicle checks.
- Promptly reports all equipment and vehicle maintenance needs to the Supervising Library Maintainer.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or High School Equivalency required.
- Two years of full-time paid experience in mechanical maintenance work similar to the duties listed above is required.
- Must be able to lift and carry materials and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Must be available for emergency calls 24 hours, 7 days per week and possess a valid driver’s license.
- Possession of a valid Certificate of Qualification for Refrigerating Machine Operator (Unlimited Capacity) and HVAC Certificate required.
ABOUT QUEENS PUBLIC LIBRARY:
Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. Our mission is to transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of serving the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 66 locations.
TO APPLY: Please email your resume and cover letter to: QLcareers@queenslibrary.org and reference “Library Maintainer, Central - QLWEB” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
The Queens Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.