DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Lead Motor Vehicle Operator includes all the duties of a Motor Vehicle Operator (MVO) with additional supervisory and departmental responsibilities to assist the Shipping Supervisor.
- Picks up and delivers on scheduled and unscheduled stops as assigned.
- May act as chauffer driving fleet’s official automobiles.
- Loads and unloads materials and equipment; sorts books in Shipping Room and on the route when required.
- Operates a floor jack/lift for incoming and outgoing service.
- Lead MVO loads and unloads from a tractor-trailer and any vehicle as directed.
- Lead MVO is responsible for receiving materials as required.
- Properly sorts materials into bins for delivery.
- Properly assigns routes to staff as to monthly schedule.
- Re-assigns route drivers to vehicles when assigned driver is on annual leave or sick leave.
- Delivers all parcels to proper recipient and stores items unable to be delivered in a secure area until they are deliverable.
- Checks all delivered parcel amount before signing off on number of cartons or items received from UPS, Fed Ex, Staples and any other freight carriers.
- Ensures that any staff person requesting to use a library vehicle are qualified to do so by Risk Management Department before issuing keys
- Ensures UPS packages for shipment are processed correctly before the UPS pick up.
- Ensures book dale boxes are properly tacked on skids for pick up by freight company on scheduled date.
- Monitors hourly rate shipping employees that they are properly assigned and performing their prescribed duties.
- Directs and assigns work to MVO’s and follows up accordingly.
- Responsible for working with Shipping Supervisor to move fleet vehicles as required for storage, maintenance and repair.
- Participates in the evaluation of MVO performance and communicates performance gaps to Shipping Supervisor.
- Coaches and counsels MVO to improve productivity.
- Responsible for the operation and maintenance of motor vehicle(s).
- Performs maintenance and minor repairs of motor vehicles including but not limited to checking tires and wheels for condition and pressure, oil, gasoline, brake fluid, windshield fluid, wiper condition and fuses.
- Responsible for maintaining proper safety tools in vehicle (hazard triangles, flares, flashlights) and work tools such as hand trucks and straps, supplies, materials and equipment.
- Maintains clean vehicles both inside and out as necessary, keeping vehicles free of all debris and litter.
- Reports all accidents and mechanical defects immediately, both verbally and on written report form (accident, incident, DMV and on the operator maintenance reports and truck log).
- Schedules trucks and autos for preventive maintenance service and repairs.
- Ensures proper NYS Inspection certificates for all vehicles are current.
- Ensures vehicle insurance cards are in vehicles and up to date.
- Monitors EZ Pass tags.
- Monitors all trip sheets for library vehicles and make sure that they are properly filled out and signed by user.
- Monitors gas card program.
- Maintains a sign out sheet to track who and when vehicles were assigned to and when they were removed from the Central Library and returned.
- Makes sure all vehicles parked outside of Central Library’s yard are parked legally, secured and location is noted.
- Prepares trip reports and operator maintenance reports and truck logs daily.
- Responsible for having Library-issued AT&T device at all times and immediately communicating any change or problem with scheduled route/ assignment to Supervisor.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma required.
- Three years of driving experience or equivalent.
- Valid Driver’s license.
- May be required to obtain a Class E license.
- Demonstrates the ability to lead and direct employees with tact and professionalism.
- Good written and verbal communication skills, interpersonal skills, and customer service skills.
- Must be able to operate a floor jack/lift for incoming and outgoing service.
ABOUT QUEENS PUBLIC LIBRARY:
Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. Our mission is to transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of serving the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 65 locations.
TO APPLY: Please send your resume and cover letter to QLcareers@queenslibrary.org and reference “Lead Motor Vehicle Operator - QLWEB” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
Starting annual salary is $59,219.
The Queens Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.