DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Interactive and Visual Designer position is primarily responsible for developing and designing print and digital work from concept to final production to create impactful marketing materials to support marketing campaigns, product launches, programs and services offered by the Queens Public Library. The Interactive and Visual Designer needs to be curious, organized, talented and extremely collaborative. Creative work will include calendars, brochures, flyers, posters, presentations, signs; sell sheets, videos, animations, and other digital work as needed. Responsible for creative production work including design layout skills, graphics and typeface based on the Queens Public Library (QPL) branding guidelines.
- Concepts and designs digital work such as animations, graphics, infographics, TV screens, banners and images for the Library’s website, tablet and mobile apps, social media and QPL’s external email blasts.
- Collaborates with other team members from Marketing, Communications, ITD and QPL internal clients to fulfill marketing objectives by translating goals, needs and input into great digital experiences.
- Supports and protects the company brand and brand guidelines in all Web initiatives.
- Designs and creates marketing materials for QPL including calendars, postcards, flyers, brochures, booklets, posters, invitations, annual reports, signage and newsletters.
- Responsible for creative production work including design layout skills, graphics and typeface.
- Creates and organizes production assets and source images as needed (stock photos and video footage).
- Creates visual and interactive presentations and video that promote QPL programs, services and impact on its customers.
- Assists in designing and creating storyboards, outlines, to produce compelling video.
- Designs and delivers unique, brand-appropriate motion graphics to enhance the story and viewing experience.
- Retouches, corrects, and color-grades all photo and video content.
- Maintains visual quality throughout post-production.
- Delivers final projects through a variety of systems and video formats.
- Must utilize excellent project management skills to manage multiple projects simultaneously, meeting deadlines and delivering a final product, which meets or exceeds expectations.
- Maintains and communicates projects’ status for regular communication to Marketing team and supervisors.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in art or design (BA) with at least 3+ years’ experience in design required. Preferably, an emphasis on digital design but print design experience would be helpful.
- Must have thorough knowledge and experience in Adobe Creative Suite CC, including Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Premiere or equivalent video editing software.
- Experience with responsive web design and knowledge of UX principles.
- Basic photography skills is a plus.
- Must possess great design aesthetic and solid skills in production design for digital applications such as redlining, image compression, etc. Solid understanding of web and mobile (native) technologies. Understanding of Information Architecture, wire framing, prototyping, image compression and core web technologies.
ABOUT QUEENS PUBLIC LIBRARY:
Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. Our mission is to transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of serving the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 66 locations.
TO APPLY: Send your resume and cover letter to Employment@queenslibrary.org and reference “Interactive and Visual Designer - QLWEB” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
The Queens Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.