DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Facilities and Environmental Services Operations Manager reporting to the Director of Facilities is responsible for managing and overseeing the daily work of the custodial coverage/project team. In partnership with the Senior Library Custodians, coordinates system-wide custodial schedules and coverage.
Supervision and Management of Coverage/Project Team
- Analyzes and prepares assignments for the coverage team, discusses and coordinates projects with Senior Library Custodians (SLCs).
- Meets daily with coverage team to discuss schedules, upcoming events, and any issues or concerns.
- Coordinates with SLCs, provides input, availability and support of coverage teams for library needs.
- Inputs schedules and Annual Leave into Kronos and monitors exceptions (missed punches/unexcused absences).
- Tracks all Overtime for coverage that must be reviewed with the Director of Facilities.
- Monitors and reviews the submittal of coverage checklists, reports findings to SLC’s and Director of Facilities as needed.
- Evaluates feedback from library staff and coverage team for follow-up immediately or to be scheduled as a project assignment for a later date.
- Prepares and submits timely annual custodial reviews, prepares progressive discipline when needed.
- Ensures speeding tickets and vehicle accident reports are reported appropriately and promptly to the Investigations & Security Department (ISD), Risk Management, etc., and follow-ups on issues reported as needed.
- Interprets and applies policies and procedures.
- Coordinates Sunday Service facility cleaning for branch locations.
Scheduling, Reports and Record-Keeping System-Wide
- Creates and maintains the yearly annual leave database, monthly coverage chart, “A” and “B”, (including annual rotation for one-person facilities), Saturday coverage chart and the Saturday Volunteer Coverage forms.
- Monitors and tracks time and leave for all custodial staff, their locations and branch vacancies.
- Documents all call-outs and reasons as reported, changes of schedule, notions of ongoing progressive time and leave issues, LWOP, No call/no shows, Family Sick Leave, PFL and Jury duty.
- Monitors custodians' return to work (RTW) dates (i.e., FMLA, military, quarantine).
- Updates chart daily for new staff, transfers and separations.
- Maintains timesheet records, disciplinary records, and library policies going back two years.
- Interprets and applies policies and procedures.
- Reviews schedules and timecards to ensure scheduled days off are reported correctly within Kronos. Addresses timecard exceptions in the absence of an SLC.
- Receives daily call-outs from custodial staff and coordinates any resulting coverage needs.
- Communicates call-outs and coverage changes with SLCs and sends daily email notifications to Community Library Services (CLS), ISD, etc.
- Tracks all overtime for coverage that must be reviewed by the Director of Facilities.
- Responds to any issues reported by CLS regarding coverage.
- Reviews timesheets with the Administrative Assistant and SLCs on a bi-weekly basis to ensure timesheets are submitted on time. Obtains any overdue timesheets promptly and notifies the Director of Facilities of late submittals.
- Review Monthly Open / Close report from ISD.
- Works with Director of Facilities to ensure timely completion and submittals of Monthly Vehicle Inspection checklists. Assists with the facilitation of periodic staff meetings regarding work vehicles.
- Orders light bulbs thru Grainger. Tracks spending according to light bulb budget PO’s. Works with Grainger support staff and/or Queens Public Library Procurement to research items needed, reviews in-house bulb supply list as needed and advises administration of any changes required.
- Responds to custodian light bulb requests sent to FES Facilities.
- Coordinates and receives deliveries to Operations Center.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma required.
- Must have a minimum of 3 - 5 years of Facilities management experience; or equivalent combination of education/training and experience.
- Supervisory experience is required.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Must have strong prioritizing and organizing skills and the ability to interpret and prepare reports.
- Must be able to apply time management principles to complete projects with competing deadlines.
- Familiarity with MS Office, specifically Word and Excel (intermediate/advanced knowledge), computerized Remedy Work Order System and Kronos Timekeeper System is required.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Experience with Library operations and procedures is a plus.
- Experience Operating Hi/Lo Forklift preferred.
ABOUGHT QUEENS PUBLIC LIBRARY:
Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. Our mission is to transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of serving the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 66 locations.
TO APPLY: Send your resume and cover letter to QLcareers@queenslibrary.org and reference “FES Operations Manager - QLWEB” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
The Queens Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.