DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Director of Facilities directs all system-wide activities related to facilities custodial services for all Queens Public Library locations. Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with all departments to provide a unified approach to all aspects of custodial facilities management. Delivers quality customer service to internal and external customers, in partnership with Library Services, Capital Projects Management, Investigations and Security Department, Risk Management, contractors and others, as required. Schedule may include evenings and weekends. Must be on call 24/7. Performs other duties as required.
- Responsible for system-wide branch library custodial operations to ensure that the Queens Public Library’s property and physical plant are maintained in a clean, safe, operationally sound, welcoming and aesthetically pleasing manner.
- Supervises the Senior Library Custodians, the Flushing Building Operations Manager and the Building Operations Manager.
- Directly responsible for all branch custodian performance management, including setting expectations and completing performance evaluations for all branch custodians, through inspections and consultation with Senior Library Custodians and Branch Managers. Resolves performance and/or other issues in consultation with Senior Library Custodians and Branch Managers.
- Coordinates and expedites the installation of new furniture and removal of obsolete furniture.
- Provides input and coordinates efforts with other departments during branch construction and renovations.
- Creates and implements a comprehensive preventative maintenance plan for custodial operations, including site inspections, equipment maintenance and regular cleaning, special cleaning projects and/or replacement for fixtures and furnishings.
- Identifies needs and develops plans for equipment replacement and repair (excluding building systems).
- Manages the Facilities and Environmental Services (FES) custodial budget, including monitoring of supplies and purchase of equipment and furniture and manages FES contractual services, as well as monitoring vendor performance.
- Collaborates with Health & Safety and Risk Management to identify building or working condition issues and recommends and enacts corrective measures and programs.
- Ensures compliance with the collective bargaining agreement (CBA).
- Investigates and resolves facility/custodial related concerns of branch staff.
- Formulates strategies to enable the Library to meet customer satisfaction goals through comfortable, safe and accommodating facilities.
- Prepares project status reports and other reports as requested. Responds to or coordinates response efforts during building emergencies.
- Manages custodial aspects of renovations and new construction.
- Leads and motivates multifunctional teams, manages multiple conflicting priorities and builds relationships and partnerships across the institution.
- Provides oversight of custodial project team schedules, events and coverage during absences, etc.
- Responds to special requests.
- Responsible for coaching, counseling, disciplinary action, performance management and ensures developmental plans are instituted as needed. Implements training programs to promote the professional growth and development of the team.
- Manages a workforce which is largely union-represented, and facilitates work in accordance with applicable Library policies and procedures and the collective bargaining agreement.
- Responsible for the approval and expenditures of all budgets relating to personnel costs (i.e., overtime/shift differential, etc., supplies, equipment). Manages invoices from contractors and vendors. Meets cost saving targets through the establishment of budgetary controls, saving opportunities and tracking reports.
- Performs other duties as required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- At least 5 years of experience as a facilities manager in a similarly sized organization.
- At least 5 years of supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and problem solve, implement solutions and action plans in a timely manner.
- Must be computer literate (word processing and spreadsheet applications), and able to navigate in a Microsoft Office environment.
- Must be available for emergency calls 24/7.
- Schedule may include weekends and evenings.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Experience working with a unionized workforce highly preferred.
Please email your resume and cover letter to: Jobs@queenslibrary.org and reference “Director of Facilities – INTERNAL” in the subject line. Please note: this email account is reserved for Queens Public Library employees. Interested external applicants should submit resumes to QLcareers@queenslibrary.org, instead. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
THIS POSITION MAY BE ADVERTISED EXTERNALLY.