DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides friendly, courteous and accurate service to customers. Answers directional questions and refers customers to librarians for reference questions. Provides customers with direct assistance in the navigation of the Internet and the use of Library software (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite and computer reservation software).
- Performs all the duties and responsibilities of a Customer Service Representative as needed, such as “on the floor” customer service, entering data into computer systems, preparing new and existing material for customer use, scanning and shelving returned material, completing reports, and removing items from the physical collection.
- Provides customers with assistance in the use of library technology, including first level troubleshooting and technical support for computers, such as rebooting, clearing paper jams, changing printer cartridges, and ensuring the fair use of library computers in accordance with library policy. Coordinates the use and the distribution of laptop computers.
- Agency liaison with Information Technology Systems Department and public program support, including on-screen library information and public program promotions; maintains print promotional material for library programs; verbally communicates and promotes library programs to customers within the library, and assists with programs for the public.
- May accompany librarians to support programs in the community. Assists with the distribution of written promotional flyers and brochures to the community at the request of the manager.
- May monitor programs and prepare reports. Ensures appropriate setup is completed. Searches for and prepares reserve titles for delivery.
- Performs other duties as required.
The schedule for this position will include Saturdays and evenings.
- High School Diploma, General Equivalency Diploma, or High School Equivalency required. College degree preferred.
- Two years of customer service experience required. Strong verbal and written communication skills required.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must be detail oriented, flexible and a self-starter. Must be able to apply time management principles to complete multiple tasks with competing deadlines.
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
ABOUT QUEENS PUBLIC LIBRARY:
Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. Our mission is to transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of serving the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 66 locations.
To Apply: Please send your resume and cover letter to QLcareers@queenslibrary.org and reference “Customer Service Specialist – QLWEB in the subject line of the email. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
Starting annual salary is $39,244.
The Queens Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.