- Performs excellent internal and external customer service and library service in response to the information needs of library users and the overall community with an emphasis on children.
- Promotes library collections and services to the public, both inside and outside the physical building. Responsible for readers’ guidance and reference services.
- Publicizes, plans, and conducts programs for children and parents, including toddler and pre-school reading times, picture book hour, arts and crafts programs, and summer reading clubs.
- Assists customers with the use of print and electronic resources. Recommends and refers customers and parents to alternative sources of information (internal and external) to the Library.
- Performs collection development with an emphasis on developing quality children’s materials including selecting and ordering materials. Monitors the public service floor. Assembles and arranges displays of books and other library materials.
- Assists in maintaining a pleasant, inviting, and safe environment. Approves acceptance of gifts.
- Determines usage patterns of collections by assessing frequency of circulation, physical condition and other criteria. Maintains reference and circulation materials.
- Provides outreach to area elementary and nursery schools and community organizations serving children and families, informing them of library services and to develop partnerships for collaboration. Maintains and cultivates contact with schools and parents.
- May perform one or more of the following duties: investigates technologies that will improve services; creates, develops, maintains, or contributes to the community library web page and social media; supervises hourly rate employees and volunteers; compiles bibliographies and/or develops library user guides.
- Performs other duties as required.
The schedule for this position will include Saturdays and evenings.
- Must have a MLS/MLIS degree from an ALA-accredited library school.
- New York State Public Librarian’s Certificate required.
- Must have the ability to work with a diverse population of children and effectively provide customer service to a large number of children simultaneously.
- Must have a performance evaluation of standard or above in public service positions.
ABOUT QUEENS PUBLIC LIBRARY:
Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. We transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of offering pioneering programs and services to the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 65 locations.
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference “Children’s Librarian – QLWEB” in the subject line of the email. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
The Queens Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.