Chief Financial Officer, Senior Vice President
Reporting to the President and CEO, the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), Senior Vice President (SVP) is responsible for an operating budget of approximately $140 million with a diverse and complex funding base in addition to a capital budget of in excess of $100+ million, and recommends and implements financial and management policies. The CFO, SVP is responsible for Finance (accounting, accounts payable, budget, grants management, internal and external audit engagements, investments and reporting), Payroll and Benefits units with the Library’s Finance Department. The CFO, SVP is a critical member of the Senior Management Team.
Resource Management and Financial Strategic Planning:
- Reporting to the President and CEO and partnering with the Senior Management Team, the CFO, SVP develops and implements financial strategy for Queens Public Library. The CFO, SVP advises department heads, and evaluates and assists with their financial plans and economic modeling. In conjunction with the President and CEO and the Board of Trustees, supports and oversees all fiscal and fiduciary responsibilities for the organization in addition to strategic partnership duties with capital programs.
- Develops the Library’s annual budget for all operating funds in conjunction with each department head. Prepares agenda items required for approval by the Finance and Investments, Audit, Executive, and Buildings and Grounds Committees and Board of Trustees. Manages sources of funding to ensure that all filings, reimbursements and payments are made within required timeframes to keep cash flow current. Coordinates all funding issues with the CEO and other senior management, Office of Management and Budget (OMB), Department of Design and Construction (DDC), and other grantors and external partners to ensure expense needs and projects are properly funded and can proceed.
- Utilizes staff resources to provide all requested information from city auditors, lobbying audits, audit committees, and internal planning for City Council hearings and capital planning.
- Leads, identifies and develops the tools, resources and systems to provide critical financial and operational information to the President and CEO and Library leadership and makes actionable recommendations on both strategy and operations.
- Engages the President and CEO and Senior Management Team around issues, trends, and changes in the operating model(s) and operational delivery. Assists in establishing yearly objectives and meeting agendas, and identifying and engaging external talent when appropriate (auditors, investment advisors).
- Oversees long-term budgetary planning and costs management in alignment with the Library’s strategic plan. Contributes vision and insight to lead and support opportunities for Queens Public Library’s continual innovation and global leadership position among public library systems.
Financial and Operational Management:
- Leads financial and operational management of Finance, Payroll & Benefits units for the organization.
- Oversees all accounts, ledgers and reporting systems, ensuring compliance with appropriate Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), regulatory requirements and audit requirements. Maintains internal control safeguards and coordinate all audit activities.
- Manages cash flow and forecasting. Develops a reliable cash flow projection process and reporting mechanism that includes a minimum cash threshold to meet operating needs. Optimizes the handling of banking relationships and initiates appropriate strategies to enhance cash positions.
- Oversees budgeting and the implementation of budgets so as to monitor progress and present financial metrics both internally and externally.
- In conjunction with the President and CEO, manages and tracks the performance of investments including the Queens Public Library Foundation (“QPLF”), to ensure they are in keeping with policies and investment guidelines. Oversees the management and tracking of capital programs for optimal execution of the Library’s capital building and planning.
- Develops, updates and implements policies, procedures and resources and leverages best practices.
Staff Leadership and Professional Development:
- Leads and manages a diverse team of professionals and support staff. Encourages the continuous professional development of staff and conducts regularly scheduled performance management plans (PMP’s). Ensures that performance documentation is maintained, up-to-date and accurate.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Economics required.
- Ten plus (10+) years of professional experience in finance/accounting management, preferably in the nonprofit or government sectors with budgets of over $50 million.
- Strong knowledge of GAAP and GASB.
- Demonstrated initiative and leadership to lead and improve finance and accounting processes.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize an automated financial system (SAP or equivalent) and other related software including Microsoft Suite.
- Ideal candidate should have experience of a proactive, business partner to the CEO of a multi-functional organization with a demonstrated collaborative and flexible style.
- Experience with audits and/or financial management in various organizations and ability to promote best practices within finance and operations highly desirable.
- Must have superior analytical skills with impeccable judgment with experience interpreting a strategic vision into an operational model.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the flexibility to work across business units and various levels of management.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment, handling multiple projects with demanding deadlines.
- CPA or MBA is preferred.
ABOUT QUEENS PUBLIC LIBRARY:
Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. Our mission is to transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of serving the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 66 locations.
TO APPLY: Please email your resume and cover letter to: Execsearch@queenslibrary.org and reference “Chief Financial Officer, Senior Vice President - QLWEB” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
The Queens Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.