DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
With considerable freedom and latitude for independent action, the Assistant Community Library Manager position at this Principal Library location represents an exciting and challenging promotional opportunity. This position will manage one of the busiest community libraries within our organization in terms of annual circulation, gate count, programs, and/or program attendance.
- In partnership with the Executive Director, the Assistant Community Library Manager plays a critical role in maintaining the Principal Library designation and status of his/her agency.
- In partnership with the Executive Director, the Assistant Community Library Manager has overall responsibility for the leadership and supervision of all staff, including the objective feedback of performance in a timely manner, fostering the learning and development of staff, as well as for providing and modeling exceptional public service to all age levels.
- The Assistant Community Library Manager is the immediate supervisor of the Customer Service Supervisor and Librarians.
- In the absence of the Executive Director, assumes the responsibility of managing the library including materials selection, programming, physical maintenance, meeting attendance, regular reports, records, and overall direction of staff.
- In the absence of the Customer Service Supervisor, the Assistant Community Library Manager directly supervises clerical operations.
- Must demonstrate leadership competencies, including initiative, flexibility in approaching daily responsibilities, cooperative teamwork and modeling exemplary customer service.
- Prepares reports and statistics.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The schedule for this position will include Saturdays and evenings.
- Requires an ALA accredited Master’s degree and a New York State Public Librarian’s Certificate.
- A minimum of one year of managerial experience including the performance management & supervision of full-time librarian staff is required.
- Must have demonstrated knowledge of library policies and procedures.
ABOUT QUEENS PUBLIC LIBRARY:
Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. Our mission is to transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of serving the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 65 locations.
To Apply: Please send your resume and cover letter to QLcareers@queenslibrary.org and reference “ACLM, Supervising Librarian, Langston Hughes – QLWEB” in the subject line of the email. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
Starting annual salary is $63,074.
The Queens Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.