DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Motor Vehicle Operator (MVO) is responsible for pick-ups and delivering scheduled and unscheduled stops as assigned.
- Acts as a Chauffer, driving Queens Public Library’s official fleet automobiles.
- Loads and unloads materials and equipment.
- Sorts books in shipping room and on the route as required.
- Loads and unloads from a tractor-trailer and any vehicle as directed.
- Responsible for receiving materials as required.
- Responsible for the operation and maintenance of motor vehicle(s).
- Performs maintenance and minor repairs of vehicles, including, but not limited to checking tires and wheels for condition and pressure, oil, gasoline, brake fluid, windshield fluid, wiper condition, and fuses.
- Responsible for maintaining proper safety tools, such as hazard triangles, flares, flashlights in vehicle and work tools, such as hand trucks and straps, supplies, materials, and equipment.
- Maintains a clean vehicle both inside and out as necessary; keeps vehicles free of all debris and litter.
- Reports all accidents, incidents and mechanical defects immediately, both verbally and written (DMV and other operator maintenance reports).
- Reports to the Lead MVO or designated person in the absence of any traffic violations, both moving and parking, summons either issue to the driver or library vehicle.
- The MVO provides back-up service to the book mobile and shipping room staff as needed. Prepares trip reports, operator maintenance reports, and truck logs daily.
- Responsible for having the Library-issued AT&T Blackberry device at all times and immediately communicates any change or problem with the scheduled route/assignment to the Lead MVO or Shipping Supervisor.
- Responsible for working with Lead MVO to move fleet vehicles as required for storage, maintenance, and repair.
- Performs other duties as required.
Must be able to work a flexible schedule based on operational needs. Schedule may include evenings and weekends.
- High School Diploma, General Equivalency Diploma, or High School Equivalency required.
- Three years of driving experience operating an 11,000 pound vehicle under Class E license or equivalent, valid Class D Driver’s license required.
- Must be able to operate a floor jack/lift for incoming and outgoing service.
- Must be able to make minor vehicle repairs and handle light maintenance.
- Must be able to prepare required reports.
- Good written and verbal communication skills, interpersonal skills, and customer service skills required.
- Recent Driving experience preferred.
Adhere to dress code of wearing Library-issued uniform for each work day. Ability to drive automatic, 11,000 lb. route trucks required. Must be able to lift 50 lbs. of packages/equipment and bend throughout the work day. Must be able to use and manipulate hand trucks, dollies and other materials handling equipment used in deliveries. Ability to load and unload material and equipment from various size trucks and vehicles including a tractor-trailer, route truck and any vehicle as directed required. Ability to operate a floor/jack lift for incoming and outgoing service pushing material and equipment weighing up to 600 lbs. required. Must drive established routes and required trips in trucks, automobiles and other designated fleet vehicles while navigating all types of traffic, noise and weather conditions. Must utilize a computer to enter and retrieve information and to communicate with other staff members.
ABOUT QUEENS PUBLIC LIBRARY:
Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. Our mission is to transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of serving the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 65 locations.
TO APPLY: Please email your resume and cover letter to: QLcareers@queenslibrary.org and reference “Motor Vehicle Operator – QLWEB” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
Starting annual salary is $46,944
The Queens Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.