DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Queens Public Library is seeking a Director of Finance for Capital Projects. Reporting to the Vice President for Capital Projects Management, this position provides daily management and strategic analysis of capital budgets for the Queens Public Library portfolio of facilities throughout the Borough of Queens. Responsible for conceptualizing, planning, implementing and communicating construction and outfitting budgets to ensure that capital projects are adequately resourced, efficiently contracted, effectively published, and suitably equipped and furnished. This position, playing a critical role in reporting for capital funding, advances collaborative working relationships with internal and external stakeholders and touches upon all tasks associated with capital funding. The position works with NYC public agencies such as (but not limited to) the NYC Office of Management of Budget and the NYC Department of Design and Construction along with a variety of QPL contracted consultants, contractors and vendors to deliver capital construction projects within forecasted and stated budgets. Establishes and monitors CPM’s departmental budget in SAP, QPL’s financial enterprise resource planning system, and all capital budget activity through NYC’s Financial Management System (FMS). Perform other duties as assigned.
Financial and Budget Planning and Management
- Provides input to the Vice President of the Capital Projects Management throughout all phases of budget planning.
- Assists the Vice President of Capital Projects Management with preparing internal and external long range, annual, and interim budgeting reports and inquires including funding requests to New York City Council Members, New York State Legislative Delegation, and the Queens Congressional Delegation.
- Serves as QPL’s liaison with the NYC Office of Management and Budget - Council Finance Division, and the NYC Department of Design and Construction – Budget Analysis on all matters relating to capital funding.
- Prepares, organizes, submits, and facilitates documents and exhibits in connection with securing approvals and Certificates to Proceed (CP) from external agencies such as (but limited to) the NYC Office of Management and Budget.
- Serves as the resource for gathering, maintaining, and disseminating all correspondence required to initiate, comply, and obtain reimbursement in connection with NYC Grant and NYC Pass – Through projects and liaises with QPL’s Pass – Through and NYC Grant consultant(s).
- Works with CPM’s project managers and QPL’s Legal and Procurement Departments in matters regarding the solicitation of consultants, vendors and contractors including processing Statements of Work (SOW), Change Orders (CO), and Requests for Payment and approves project and department commitments less than $2,000.
- Collaborates with QPL’s Finance and Government and Community Affairs Departments as required to bridge gaps between forecasted and actual budgets.
- Organizes the application and reporting of government and non-government grants with the Queens Public Library Foundation.
- Conducts financial evaluations of projects in progress to ensure alignment between forecasted versus actual costs.
- Verifies the fiscal soundness of capital project contract execution and verifies accordance with QPL policies and procedures, government regulations, and industry standards.
- Liaises with the CPM team in assessing the fiscal viability of initiating capital projects and contributes in the preparation and delivery of capital project initiation.
- Responsible for coaching, counseling, performance management, and conducts regularly scheduled performance evaluations.
- Works together with the CPM team to identify continuing education programs and opportunities for professional development.
- Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of 10 years related experience in capital project management, accounting, finance, public administration, or a related field with an understanding of accounting and finance concepts, procedures, and industry accepted practices.
- A minimum of 3 years of supervisory experience.
- Verified ability to utilize an automated financial system (SAP or equivalent) and adept at using the NYC Financial Management System (FMS).
- Excellent skills with MS Office especially Excel with proficiency in Access as a big plus.
- Budgetary experience in construction projects of varying complexity, and size with value ranging from $35k to upwards of $50m.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, attention to detail and follow-up, and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with competing priorities and deadlines.
- A valid NYS driver’s license and the ability to travel locally using mass transit if necessary.
- Knowledge and experience with the rules and regulations regarding the use of public funds.
- The ability to read and understand construction drawings.
ABOUT QUEENS PUBLIC LIBRARY
Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. We transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of offering pioneering programs and services to the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 65 locations.
TO APPLY: Please send your resume and cover letter to Employment@queenslibrary.org and reference “Director of Finance for Capital Projects - QLWEB” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
The Queens Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.