- Apprentice Training
Apprenticeship is the process of learning a skilled occupation through both on-the-job training (practical, paid experience) and learning the related technical knowledge in a classroom. You must be 18 years old, or be 16 years old with parental approval.
- The Career Interests Game
This site suggests what careers you might enjoy given your interests. It also provides you with information about the salaries of various career choices are, and how much education is needed.
Work or Volunteer For the Library
The library has a number of full-time, part-time and volunteer opportunities available for you to start your career, fulfill your school's community service requirement, or earn extra money. You can volunteer at the library starting at age 14 years old and can work for pay starting at age 15 years old. If you are interested in working for us, you will need to go to one of our neighborhood libraries and bring:
- If you are under 18, you will need working papers, which can be obtained from your school.
- Letter from home stating it is OK for you to work in the library.
- A desire to be a member of a team dedicated to excellence in public service.
Position Available: High School Tutor for BOOST
BOOST (Best Out of School Time) is an after-school program that operates in local community libraries within the Queens Library system with a mission to enhance the academic and social skills of children ages 6 to 14, and promote greater appreciation for the library community.
BOOST is seeking Teen Tutors to help ensure the quality and delivery of after school enrichment and homework help throughout the school year from 3:00pm to 6:00pm Monday through Friday. The Teen Tutors will work with the Children’s Librarian, the Activity Assistant and will report to the Teen Tutor Coordinator.
The Tutor will have the following responsibilities and qualifications:
- Provide homework assistance and encourage academic progress for children in grades K – 8 in a supportive manner.
- Assist Children’s Librarian and/or Activity Assistant with educational, recreational, and other group activities.
- Serve as a mentor/ positive role model and uphold professional behavior at all times.
- Ensure the safety and engagement of youth between the ages of 6 to 14 during the BOOST program.
- Maintain the policies and procedures of the library.
- High School students at least 16 years old, in good academic standing with a minimum GPA of 85.
- Available to work from 3:00 – 6:00pm; 15 hours per week Monday-Friday .
- Ability to work as part of a team with library staff.
- Bilingual, a plus
Pay is $7.25/hour. Queens Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Interested candidates should forward a cover letter and resume (via email or regular mail; no faxes please) to: Leslie Taylor 89-11 Merrick Boulevard, Jamaica, NY, 11432 Attn: BOOST High School Tutor - Job Announcement, Leslie.Taylor@QueensLibrary.org
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.