- The Archives @ Queens Library
- Articles & Databases
- Central Library – Collections
- Foundation Center & Grants
- Government Documents
- Guides and Resources
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
- Special Collections
- Multilingual Web Picks
- Adult Literacy
- Citizenship & Immigration
- Community Information
- Computers & Wi-Fi
- Get a Library Card
- Health Information
- International Relations
- Job Information
- Learn English
- Multilingual Services
- Older Adults
- People with Disabilities
- Veterans Information
Job Information Center @ Far Rockaway
1637 Central Avenue
Far Rockaway, NY 11691
Drop-in assistance is available on the following days and times. For extended assistance or appointments at other times, please call the Far Rockaway Community Library at (718) 327-2549
|10-5||3-7||11-4:30||11-6||11-5||10:30-11:30 and 3-6|
Far Rockaway offers one-on-one assistance in job searching with a criminal record Wednesday through Friday. Please call or stop by the library and ask for Sara Medlicott.
Computer classes are offered on a weekly basis:
- Computer Boot Camp: a 6 session class covering the basics of computer use, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint & Excel
- Computers for Entrepreneurs: a 4 session class covering use of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publishers for current and potential entrepreneurs
- Social Media: a monthly class covering the basics of social media including Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn
Job Search Workshops
Job Search Workshops including resumes, cover letters, job search strategies and interview preparation are offered weekly on a rotating basis.
- Job Searching for Veterans offered on a monthly basis
- Job Searching with a Criminal Record offered on a monthly basis
- Federal Job Seeking offered on a monthly basis
- College Preparation Series is a 4 session workshop offered monthly covering applications, writing personal statements and financial aid.
Queens Library offers several free online training opportunities for library customers.
Metrix Learning is an easy to use, self-directed, online learning program offering multiple learning tracks in a single platform. All training courses are online. Users must have a valid email address and a high level of computer and internet understanding. Once a user has attended a 1 hour orientation session at select Queens Library locations, they can access Metrix Learning from any computer with an internet connection and speakers or headphones.
Training is available in many areas, including:
● Microsoft Office Specialist (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access)
● Adobe Creative Suites including Photoshop
● Internet Computing Core Certification
● Six Sigma
● Project Management
For orientation sessions at Far Rockaway, please consult the monthly calendars.
Learning Express Library is a database that provides access to interactive skill-building courses and a broad range of practice tests based on such official exams as the ACT, SAT, GED, ASVAB, Firefighter, Police Officer, Paramedic, EMT Basic, U.S. Citizenship, Postal Worker, Cosmetology, Real Estate Agent & Broker Exams. Learning Express is accessible from all library computers and from home with your library card. Assistance with Learning Express is available in the JIC or at the Open Lab times.
Job and Career Accelerator allows customers to access information on occupations that suit their interests. Access current job listings from over 5 million job postings, which are collected from all major job boards. Create professional resumes and cover letters, master interviewing and networking techniques, and more. Job and Career Accelerator is accessible from all library computers and from home with your library card. Assistance with Job and Career Accelerator is available in the JIC or at the Open Lab times.
JobNow provides career resources including personality and career assessment, resume building including online review and interview preparation including online assistance from an interview coach. If you can’t make it to the library, this is the job search assistance resource for you. JobNow is accessible from all library computers and from home with your library card. Assistance with JobNow is available in the JIC or at the Open Lab times.