- The Archives @ Queens Library
- Articles & Databases
- Central Library – Collections
- Foundation Center & Grants
- Government Documents
- Guides and Resources
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
- Special Collections
- Multilingual Web Picks
- Adult Literacy
- Citizenship & Immigration
- Community Information
- Computers & Wi-Fi
- Get a Library Card
- Health Information
- International Relations
- Job Information
- Learn English
- Multilingual Services
- Older Adults
- People with Disabilities
- Veterans Information
Job Information Center @ Arverne
312 Beach 54 Street
Arverne, NY 11692
Drop-in assistance is available on the following days and times. For extended assistance or appointments at other times, please call Arverne Community Library at (718) 634-4784
Arverne offers one-on-one assistance in job searching with a criminal record on Mondays & Tuesdays. Please call or stop by the library and ask for Sara Medlicott.
- Basic Computers: (offered weekly) Whether you want to learn the basics of the computer, or just desire more computer time to enhance your skill level, come join us for our Basic Computer Classes. No registration necessary.
- Microsoft Office Boot Camp: (a four session series held every month)Registration necessary; register for one or all four sessions. Prerequisites: Basic knowledge of the computer (keyboard, email and mouse basics) Topics: Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel Pt. 1 & Excel Pt. 2
Intermediate Microsoft Word: (offered one Friday per month) Registration necessary.Prerequisites: Basic knowledge of Microsoft Word
- Intermediate Microsoft Excel: (offered one Friday per month) Registration necessary. Prerequisites: Basic knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Open Labs for Teens: (offered weekly) Need more time to complete your resume, cover letter, job search or just to practice your computer skills come to the practice labs. No registration necessary.
- Open Labs for Adults: (offered weekly) Need more time to complete your resume, cover letter, job search or just to practice your computer skills come to the practice labs. No registration necessary.
- Basic Animations & Design Classes: No need to register but must have basic knowledge of PowerPoint
Queens Library offers several free online training opportunities for library customers.
Metrix Learning is an easy to use, self-directed, online learning program offering multiple learning tracks in a single platform. All training courses are online. Users must have a valid email address and a high level of computer and internet understanding. Once a user has attended a 1 hour orientation session at select Queens Library locations, they can access Metrix Learning from any computer with an internet connection and speakers or headphones.
Training is available in many areas, including:
● Microsoft Office Specialist (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access)
● Adobe Creative Suites including Photoshop
● Internet Computing Core Certification
● Six Sigma
● Project Management
For orientation sessions at Arverne, please consult the monthly calendars.
Learning Express Library is a database that provides access to interactive skill-building courses and a broad range of practice tests based on such official exams as the ACT, SAT, GED, ASVAB, Firefighter, Police Officer, Paramedic, EMT Basic, U.S. Citizenship, Postal Worker, Cosmetology, Real Estate Agent & Broker Exams. Learning Express is accessible from all library computers and from home with your library card. Assistance with Learning Express is available in the JIC or at the Open Lab times.
Job and Career Accelerator allows customers to access information on occupations that suit their interests. Access current job listings from over 5 million job postings, which are collected from all major job boards. Create professional resumes and cover letters, master interviewing and networking techniques, and more. Job and Career Accelerator is accessible from all library computers and from home with your library card. Assistance with Job and Career Accelerator is available in the JIC or at the Open Lab times.
JobNow provides career resources including personality and career assessment, resume building including online review and interview preparation including online assistance from an interview coach. If you can’t make it to the library, this is the job search assistance resource for you. JobNow is accessible from all library computers and from home with your library card. Assistance with JobNow is available in the JIC or at the Open Lab times.