The ESOL Family Literacy classes:
- Help parents to become their children’s primary teachers
- Teach families parenting skills
- Support families to become fluent in English
- Offer children education that is age-appropriate
- Offer interactive literacy activities between parents and their children 3-10 years old
- Encourage parental involvement in their children’s school and education
Family Literacy is offered in two models:
The non-intensive family literacy model
This program offers a series of intergenerational literacy activities for children ages 3 to 5 and their caregivers at different Queens Library Community Libraries. This is a 10-week program held once a week in a 2-hour session. The focus of this program is to model to parents/caregivers how to foster the acquisition of strong pre-literacy skills so children will succeed in elementary school and beyond.
The semi-intensive Family Literacy Program
This program offers English classes for caregivers, early childhood education for their pre-school age children and afterschool programs for their school age children. The program works closely with public schools in order to best serve participating families and their children. It includes homework help, nutrition, financial, computer and media literacy classes. It also includes educational family field trips
Schedule of Classes
For information on schedule and availability of classes, please call (718) 784-2112.