FROM THE QUEENS LIBRARY WEBSITE
• From the Queens Library homepage, click the “entertainment” drop down menu and select “Digital Media and downloads.
• Click on “eBooks”
• Click on “eBooks @ Baker & Taylor”
• That takes you to http://queens.axis360.baker-taylor.com/
• Enter your library card number and PIN
• Click on “My Account” at the top right of the screen
• This brings up a pop-up window enabling you to link your library account with the free digital accounts required to use many of the Axis360 materials. Blio is an e-reader app, while Acoustik is an app for audiobook files.
• The “magic wall” lets you browse through eBook titles, sorting by target audience and by categories like “Just added,” “most popular,” “hidden gems” and “recently returned.”
• The app zone brings up a screen that tells you which “reader” software you will need to access Axis360 materials on your device.
• “Browse by subject” lets you choose between basic topics like fiction, biography, health & fitness, cooking, and more.
• A magnifying glass icon in the upper right corner enables you to search for a specific title.
• Once you have found the title you want, select your preferred format (Blio, EPUB, PDF or Acoustik), and either add the title to your cart or check it out immediately, using the icons
• Once you’re done checking items out, click the “My lists” link at the top right of the page. Once you’re there, click “items on loan” from the left menu bar to view the items you have checked out.
• You may check out up to 50 eBooks at a time.
WHAT EBOOK FORMAT SHOULD I USE?
• That depends on what device you’re going to use. If you’re going to read eBooks or audiobooks on your computer, Blio, Acoustik, EPUB and PDF will all work. If you’re using an e-reader, it may only support EPUB and PDF files. Please consult all manuals that came with your device to confirm what formats are compatible.
• Find the eBook you want to read and click “Download.”
• If your selection is an EPUB or PDF file, this will download the file to your hard drive.
• If your selection is a Blio file, you cannot download it from this screen. You’ll have to go to the “App Zone” window and download the Blio Reader for Windows, iOS or Android.
HOW DO I READ AN EBOOK WITH BLIO READER?
• BLIO is a feature-rich reader format that includes sound capability and brilliant color. For Windows, Android and iOS.
• The first thing you need is a Blio account. Log into Queens Library’s Axis360 portal using the instructions above, click on “My Account” and click “create new Blio account.”
• Enter your first name, last name, email and password. Please check your email address for a confirmation email from Blio.
• Once that’s established, you’ll need to install Blio Reader. You’ll find download links in the “App Zone” window in the Queens Library Axis360 portal.
• Using a PC or Mac, install Blio Reader to the directory of your choice.
• Once it’s installed, open the program and log in using your Blio account. Any Queens Library books you have borrowed in Blio format will appear here.
• Click on any book once to download it to your computer. From here, you will have to allow the program to grant your machine a specific ID for digital rights management. Once you have done that, read away!
HOW DO I READ AN EBOOK WITH ADOBE DIGITAL EDITIONS?
• You will need to use this app if your e-reader device can’t access the Queens Library Axis360 portal on its own. It will enable you to download eBooks to your computer and then transfer them using a USB cable to your Nook, Sony Reader, Kobo or other devices that support EPUBs and PDFs.
• Go to the App zone and download Adobe Digital Editions for Windows or Macintosh
• Install Adobe Digital Editions in the directory of your choice.
• Open Adobe Digital Editions and read “Getting Started with Adobe Digital Editions”
• Once you have done that, go back to Axis360 in your web browser, click “my lists” and then click “items on loan” from the left menu bar. From there, download the file you have borrowed in EPUB or PDF format.
• A dialog box will open. Open the file with Adobe Digital Editions.
• Once you do this, Adobe Digital Editions will ask you to authorize your computer. This will give you permission to transfer the eBook file from your computer to any e-readers you may have. Follow the instructions to “Create Adobe ID,” then enter your ID into the dialog box to start reading and transferring!
• If you choose to authorize your computer WITHOUT ID, then you can read the eBook you have checked out, but ONLY on that computer. No transfers to other devices will be allowed.
For how-to videos about using Axis 360 please go to:https://www.youtube.com/user/Axis360Support