Friends of Library - Mitchell-Linden Chapter. Contact Community Library Manager at (718) 539-2330 or Office of Government and Community Affairs (GCA) at (718) 990-0817 if you are interested in joining.
Mitchell-Linden Community Library and its environs have an interesting history. On estates owned by Ernest Mitchell (called Breezy Hill) and his father (called Linden Hill), builders envisioned a cooperative project which would provide middle-income housing to veterans of World War II and Korea. Under Section 213 of the Federal Housing Act of 1950 and at a cost of $15 million the project was enacted, providing homes for about 1400 residents.
During that time, the Queens Borough Public Library served the reading community with a bookmobile. As a result of extensive lobbying by community civic leaders, the Mitchell-Linden branch officially opened its doors on May 16, 1962. Situated in a storefront on Union St. near the intersection of Bayside Ave. in Flushing, the branch initially housed 25,000 volumes on two levels.
Surrounded by Mitchell Gardens, Linden Towers, Embassy Arms, and Linden Hills, the library name was conjoined from the above list of apartment dwellings and became the 51st member of the Queens Borough Public Library family.
With the ongoing expansion of families into the area, the Mitchell-Linden branch required expansion as well. Over a five-month period in 1988, the branch was renovated with a new circulation desk, new shelving, and new lighting structures and fixtures.
Over the years, the branch has reflected ethnic changes in the community structure. With an influx of Asians and Hispanics emigrating to Flushing, families are moving into Co-Operative apartments or Tudor-style private homes on neighboring streets. Over time, our collection has also greatly changed – to serve our customers better, we’re constantly purchasing new materials. These include Videos, DVDs, CDs, Chinese VCD’s, books and periodicals.
Customers may park in front of the library at a parking meter, or in the back at a privately owned, meter-free parking lot for a limited period of time.Parking is also available on residential side-streets near the library or on Parsons Blvd, located a block away.