Join us this weekend at Queens Library for a concert by Tre Bella, High School Equivalency exam prep, a practice SAT and ACT test, a Korean cooking demonstration, a workshop on how to self-publish, financial advice, and a welcome to the New Year with traditional Chinese music! Admission to all events is ...
The nominees for the 87th annual Academy Awards have been announced. There are always disagreements about the nominations, but one thing we can all agree on is that Hollywood gets some of its best ideas from the world of books!
Which memoirs, plays, and stories influenced this year’s nominees — and how many have you ...
idNYC is the new identification card for all New Yorkers. It is a widely accepted photo ID that also doubles as a library card. idNYC also comes with free admissions to more than 30 of our City's cultural institutions.
You may apply at the Central Library, 89-11 Merrick Boulevard in Jamaica, at the Flushing Library at ...
The Matinecock Indians sold Flushing to the Dutch Colonists in the 1620s at the rate of one ax per 50 acres. The Dutch named it “Vlissingen,” after a port in Holland. It meant “flowing water.”
In 1657, the document called the Flushing Remonstrance, was signed by the Dutch colonists giving the Quakers and others the right to worship as they chose. The principles stipulated in the Remonstrance foresaw the freedom of religion in the U.S. Constitution. The English began ruling in 1664 and changed the name to Flushing.
Because of the abundance of trees in Flushing, the first commercial nurseries in America were organized here in the 1700s. A town hall was built in 1864 and it has been used as an opera house, police station, jail, and a dinner theater.
There have been two World’s Fairs in Flushing, one in 1939 and the other in 1964.
In the early to mid-1900s Irish, Germans and Italians resided in Flushing; but after 1965, Greeks, Chinese, Korean, and Hispanic immigrants started moving in. The formerly tree-lined pastoral town has become an important international residential and commercial center.
At first the new East Flushing Branch of the Queens Borough Public Library was set to open on November 1, 1975; but due to budget cuts it was unachievable to staff the additional branch. In 1977 a recent influx of federally financed CETA employees made it attainable for the East Flushing Branch to open for service on Monday, September 19, 1977 at 1:00pm. Previously this community had no library service, except for weekly visits by a bookmobile.