Each fiscal year, the New York City Council provides residents of participating Council Districts with the opportunity to directly decide how to spend at least $1 million of their districts’ capital funds.
Queens Library's Job & Business Academy and the Consortium of Worker Education’s Jobs to Build On program have partnered to deliver free job-search help, technology training, and job-placement services for the unemployed or underemployed.
New York City’s Department of Cultural Affairs is asking New Yorkers from all walks of life to help shape the future of arts and culture in NYC as part of the city’s first-ever comprehensive cultural plan, CreateNYC: A Cultural Plan for All New Yorkers.
CreateNYC is incorporating robust public input ...
March is Women’s History Month, and Queens Library is excited to present a range of programs dedicated to the creativity and achievements of women throughout history. Join us for performances, art exhibits, film screenings, children’s crafts, and plenty more!
Also, we're posting pictures of noteworthy books by ...
The present Briarwood community stretches from Union Turnpike on its northern side to Hillside Avenue and Queens Blvd., to Parsons Blvd. on its the eastern side. The Briarwood area of Queens was undeveloped until after the turn of the century. In 1907 real estate developer Herbert A. O’Brien formed the Briarwood Land Company to develop the area between Parsons Blvd. and Queens Blvd. The name “Briarwood” was suggested by Mrs. O’Brien because the area was heavily wooded and full of briars. The company went bankrupt and the area remained undeveloped. In 1936 Briarwood Estates Development Corporation began selling homes in the area. In an ad in the 1939 World’s Fair News it proclaimed “You owe it to yourself to visit Briarwood Estates, a refined residential community”; however the area didn’t fully develop until after WWII when returning GI’s settled in the area. Of note, Archbishop Molloy High School is located across the street from the library at 83-53 Manton Street. It was opened in 1957. The population of Briarwood has grown from only a few residents at the turn of the century, to 10,000 in 1940, to its current population of almost 30,000 residents who reside in over 2,000 private homes and over 100 apartment buildings. The Briarwood Branch of the Queens Library was opened in 1975.
About Briarwood by Seymour Schwartz, President of the Briarwood Community Association (pamphlet)
Briarwood by Gerhard Heese, 1st Vice President of the Briarwood Community Association (pamphlet)