Join us at the Library this weekend! There’s music from around the world, magic and mind reading, writing workshops for adults and teens, family story time, poetry reading, science fun, help with health and citizenship, arts and crafts, movies, and much more!
Queens Library is for everyone, and we hope to see you ...
The new issue of Queens Library Magazine is out now!
Queens Library Magazine combines great library-themed feature stories and two months' worth of information about our free programs, services, and special events, and it's available at your neighborhood library or ...
The Battle of the Bands is back and better than ever, and we're looking for performers!
For the third year running, New York bands will have the opportunity to bring the house down at the 2,100-seat Colden Auditorium at Queens College’s Kupferberg Center for the Arts on Thursday, July 27.
District Office 250-02 Northern Boulevard Little Neck NY, 11021 phone: (718) 631-0400 fax: (631) 923-3660
Legislative Office 2457 Rayburn HOB DC Washington , 20516 phone: (202) 225-3335 fax: (202) 225-4669
Dutch farmers were the first Europeans to settle in Whitestone. They purchased Whitestone from the Matinecock Indians, paying one ax for every fifty acres of land. Whitestone was given its name after a light colored rock located in the East river between the Whitestone lighthouse and the shore.
Dewitt Clinton lived in Whitestone during his term as Governor of New York. The area became known as Clintonville, but was restored to Whitestone in 1854. It became an incorporated village in 1869.
Francis Lewis was one of the most famous citizens in Whitestone during the American Revolution. He was one of the four delegates who signed the Declaration of Independence for New York State. His house stood between present day 150th and 157th Streets.
Samuel Leggett came to Whitestone in the 1840s; he began a factory of japanned ware, which were tin trays, canisters, and boxes that were painted with designs. Many jobs were offered and the population of Whitestone increased greatly. Leggett built affordable housing for the new residents.
The Whitestone social league turned over its subscription library to the Queens Library on May 1, 1907. Its present location at 150-10 14th Road has been its fourth since 1970. The Whitestone Community Library serves the communities of Whitestone, Malba and Beechhurst.
From Cross Island pkwy north to Utopia Pkwy exit which is the exit after the Throgs neck bridge. Go to light make a left. Make the first right which is the northbound service road of the Cross Island Pkwy. Go straight, about 2 lights to Clintonville street and make a right. Go 1 block to 14th Road and make a right. The library is on the right. From Whitestone Expwy, take Cross Island Pkwy, exit on 14th Ave which is the first exit on the Cross Island Pkwy. Follow the service road to Clintonville Street and make a left. Go to the 2nd light which is 14th Road and make a right. The library is on the right.