The Adult Learner Program at Queens Library provides two paths to High School Equivalency (HSE)—both are completely FREE with your Queens Library card, and both are offered in partnership with the NYS Education Department.
The Test Assessing Secondary Completion is a state-of-the-art, ...
Dutch farmers were the first Europeans to settle in Whitestone. They purchased Whitestone from the Matinecock Indians, paying one ax for every fifty acres of land. Whitestone was given its name after a light colored rock located in the East river between the Whitestone lighthouse and the shore.
Dewitt Clinton lived in Whitestone during his term as Governor of New York. The area became known as Clintonville, but was restored to Whitestone in 1854. It became an incorporated village in 1869.
Francis Lewis was one of the most famous citizens in Whitestone during the American Revolution. He was one of the four delegates who signed the Declaration of Independence for New York State. His house stood between present day 150th and 157th Streets.
Samuel Leggett came to Whitestone in the 1840s; he began a factory of japanned ware, which were tin trays, canisters, and boxes that were painted with designs. Many jobs were offered and the population of Whitestone increased greatly. Leggett built affordable housing for the new residents.
The Whitestone social league turned over its subscription library to the Queens Library on May 1, 1907. Its present location at 150-10 14th Road has been its fourth since 1970. The Whitestone Community Library serves the communities of Whitestone, Malba and Beechhurst.
From Cross Island pkwy north to Utopia Pkwy exit which is the exit after the Throgs neck bridge. Go to light make a left. Make the first right which is the northbound service road of the Cross Island Pkwy. Go straight, about 2 lights to Clintonville street and make a right. Go 1 block to 14th Road and make a right. The library is on the right. From Whitestone Expwy, take Cross Island Pkwy, exit on 14th Ave which is the first exit on the Cross Island Pkwy. Follow the service road to Clintonville Street and make a left. Go to the 2nd light which is 14th Road and make a right. The library is on the right.