Each fiscal year, the New York City Council provides residents of participating Council Districts with the opportunity to directly decide how to spend at least $1 million of their districts’ capital funds.
New York City’s Department of Cultural Affairs is asking New Yorkers from all walks of life to help shape the future of arts and culture in NYC as part of the city’s first-ever comprehensive cultural plan, CreateNYC: A Cultural Plan for All New Yorkers.
CreateNYC is incorporating robust public input ...
Invest in All New Yorkers: Invest in Seven-Day Service
Advocacy season for New York City’s libraries got locally underway Wednesday, March 8, as Queens Library President and CEO Dennis Walcott testified alongside the leaders of the New York Public Library and the Brooklyn Public Library at the preliminary budget hearing for the NYC Council's Committee on Cultural Affairs, Libraries, ...
March is Women’s History Month, and Queens Library is excited to present a range of programs dedicated to the creativity and achievements of women throughout history. Join us for performances, art exhibits, film screenings, children’s crafts, and plenty more!
Also, we're posting pictures of noteworthy books by ...
Dutch farmers were the first Europeans to settle in Whitestone. They purchased Whitestone from the Matinecock Indians, paying one ax for every fifty acres of land. Whitestone was given its name after a light colored rock located in the East river between the Whitestone lighthouse and the shore.
Dewitt Clinton lived in Whitestone during his term as Governor of New York. The area became known as Clintonville, but was restored to Whitestone in 1854. It became an incorporated village in 1869.
Francis Lewis was one of the most famous citizens in Whitestone during the American Revolution. He was one of the four delegates who signed the Declaration of Independence for New York State. His house stood between present day 150th and 157th Streets.
Samuel Leggett came to Whitestone in the 1840s; he began a factory of japanned ware, which were tin trays, canisters, and boxes that were painted with designs. Many jobs were offered and the population of Whitestone increased greatly. Leggett built affordable housing for the new residents.
The Whitestone social league turned over its subscription library to the Queens Library on May 1, 1907. Its present location at 150-10 14th Road has been its fourth since 1970. The Whitestone Community Library serves the communities of Whitestone, Malba and Beechhurst.
From Cross Island pkwy north to Utopia Pkwy exit which is the exit after the Throgs neck bridge. Go to light make a left. Make the first right which is the northbound service road of the Cross Island Pkwy. Go straight, about 2 lights to Clintonville street and make a right. Go 1 block to 14th Road and make a right. The library is on the right. From Whitestone Expwy, take Cross Island Pkwy, exit on 14th Ave which is the first exit on the Cross Island Pkwy. Follow the service road to Clintonville Street and make a left. Go to the 2nd light which is 14th Road and make a right. The library is on the right.