Text-size

About
Richmond Hill

ShapeUp NYC: Cardio Sculpt

Angela Mendez teaches a mix of dance fitness, low-impact strength training and stretching exercises to relieve stress. Space is limited. Participation is on a first-come, first-served basis.

Oct 24 @ 5:30 PM, Oct 31 @ 5:30 PM, Nov 7 @ 5:30 PM, Nov 14 @ 5:30 PM, Nov 21 @ 5:30 PM

Mitch Kahn Celebrates the Great American Popular Songbook

Singer, pianist, arranger, bandleader and veteran entertainer Mitch Kahn explores the vast wealth of the American Popular Songbook with great selections by Cole Porter, Henry Mancini, Sammy Cahn and Jimmy Van Heusen, and more.

Nov 24 @ 3:30 PM

Oct
21
11:00AM

--to--

4:00PM

The Daily Puzzle

Location: Richmond Hill
Registration: Not required

The library makes puzzles available to adults every day.

Additional Program Dates/Locations
This is a recurring program. If registration is required, you must register individually.

Additional Dates


Oct
21
12:00PM

--to--

2:00PM

Richmond Hill Quilters

Location: Richmond Hill
Registration: Not required

The Quilters meet Tuesdays at noon.

Additional Program Dates/Locations
This is a recurring program. If registration is required, you must register individually.

Additional Dates


Free computer access is available at all the libraries.

The Richmond Hill Community Library has:

  • 9 public computers
  • Free Internet access
  • Microsoft Office software
  • Limited free printing

 

Queens Library Public Internet Use Policy.

TBD

TBD

TBD

TBD

image

image

image

image


International Language Collections at the Richmond Hill Community Library include:

  • Bengali
  • Chinese
  • French
  • German
  • Hebrew
  • Spanish
  • Hindi
  • Punjabi
  • Russian
  • Ukrainian
  • Urdu

 

Special Interest/Noteworthy Collections at the Richmond Hill Community Library include:

  • Black Experience
  • Community History
  • Gardening
  • Jewish Heritage

 


What does a Friends Group do?

Friends of Library - Richmond Hill Chapter. Contact Community Library Manager at (718) 849-7150 or Office of Government and Community Affairs (GCA) at (718) 990-0817 if you are interested in joining.


Child Care / Preschools
Community Board
Community Organizations & Services
Fire Department
Local Hospitals
Local Newspapers
Parks and Playgrounds
Police Department
Post Office
Private / Parochial Schools
Public Elementary Schools
Public High Schools
Senior Centers
Elected Officials
History
Special Services

Child Care / Preschools
E. Shalom Day Care
84-37 A 118th Street
Kew Gardens NY , 11415
phone: (718) 849-9189
A to Z Learning Center
123-21 Jamaica Avenue
Richmond Hill NY , 11418
phone: (718) 805-4400
Happy Day Nursery
104-25 Jamaica Avenue
Richmond Hill NY , 11418
phone: (718) 847-0223
Kew Gardens Preschool
82-02 Lefferts Boulevard
Kew Gardens NY , 11415
phone: (718) 441-9893
Once Upon A Time
87-61 111th Street
Richmond Hill NY , 11418
phone: (718) 846-9182
St Paul's Nursery School
89-19 114th Street
Richmond Hill NY , 11418
phone: (718) 849-4466
St John's Pre-K School
86-20 114th Street
Richmond Hill NY , 11418
phone: (718) 849-1437
  

Community Board
Community Board District # 9 - Queens Borough Hall
120-55 Queens Boulevard
Kew Gardens NY , 11424
phone: (718) 286-2686
fax: (718) 268-2685
  

Community Organizations & Services
Kew Gardens Civic Association
105 82nd Street
Kew Gardens NY , 11415
NHS (Neighborhood Housing Services) of Richmond Hill
15-02 Jamaica Avenue
Richmond Hill NY , 11418
phone: (718) 441-3063
Richmond Hill Block Association
110-08 Jamaica Avenue
Richmond Hill NY , 11418
phone: (718) 849-3759
South Queens Boys & Girls Club
110-04 Atlantic Avenue
Richmond Hill NY , 11419
phone: (718) 441-6050
 

Fire Department
Engine 270
91-45 121st Street
Richmond Hill NY , 11418
Engine 294 Ladder 143
101-02 Jamaica Avenue
Richmond Hill NY , 11418
 

Local Hospitals
Jamaica Hospital Medical Center
8900 Van Wyck Expressway
Jamaica NY , 11418
phone: (718) 206-6000
  

Parks and Playgrounds
Forest Park - Jackson Pond Playground
108th Street & Myrtle Avenue
Forest Park -- Jayne Carlson Triangle
Myrtle Avenue and Park Lane South

Police Department
102nd Precinct
87-34 118th Street
Richmond Hill NY , 11418
phone: (718) 805-3200
  

Post Office
Richmond Hill Station
122-01 Jamaica Avenue
Jamaica NY , 11418
phone: (718) 847-3613
  

Private / Parochial Schools
Al-Iman School (K-12)
131-11 90th Avenue
Jamaica NY , 11435
phone: (718) 297-6520
Bais Yaakov Academy (K-8)
124-50 Metropolitan Avenue
Kew Gardens NY , 11415
phone: (718) 847-5352
Bethlehem Christian Academy (K-12)
119-19 91 Avenue
Richmond Hill NY , 11418
phone: (718) 850-6480
Hebrew Academy of West Queens (K-8)
88-01 102nd Street
Richmond Hill NY , 11418
phone: (718) 847-1462
Holy Child Jesus School (K-8)
111-02 86 Avenue
Richmond Hill NY , 11418
phone: (718) 849-3988
Our Lady of the Cenacle School (K-8)
87-25 136th Street
Richmond Hill NY , 11418
phone: (718) 657-6690
Theatre Street School (1-6)
87-61 111th Street
Richmond Hill NY , 11415
phone: (718) 846-9182
Yeshivat Ohr Haiim (K-8)
86-06 135th Street
Richmond Hill NY , 11418
phone: (718) 658-7066
Yeshiva Tifereth Moshe (K-8)
83-06 Abingdon Road
Kew Gardens NY , 11415
phone: (718) 846-7300

Public Elementary Schools
PS 51 (K-1)
87-49 117th Street
Richmond Hill NY , 11418
phone: (718) 850-0738
PS 54 (K-5)
86-02 127th Street
Richmond Hill NY , 11418
phone: (718) 849-0962
PS 56 (K-5)
86-10 114th Street
Richmond Hill NY , 11418
phone: (718) 441-4448
PS 66 (K-5)
85-11 102nd Street
Richmond Hill NY , 11418
phone: (718) 849-0184
PS 90 (K-5)
86-50 109th Street
Richmond Hill NY , 11418
phone: (718) 847-3370
PS 254 (K-5)
84-40 101st Street
Richmond Hill NY , 11418
phone: (718) 846-1840

Public High Schools
Richmond Hill High School
89-30 114th Street
Richmond Hill NY , 11418
phone: (718) 846-3335
  

Senior Centers
Kew Gardens Senior Center
80-02 Kew Gardens Road Suite 202
Kew Gardens NY , 11415
phone: (718) 286-5960
BFFY Richmond Hill Senior Center
87-25 118th Street
Richmond Hill NY , 11418
phone: (718) 846-2877
 

Elected Officials
NYC Council
Hon. Karen Koslowitz
Koslowitz@council.nyc.gov
District Office Address 118-35 Queens Blvd, 17th Floor
Forest Hills NY, 11375
phone: (718) 544-8800
fax: (718) 544-4452
Manhattan Office Address 250 Broadway, Suite 1872
New York NY, 10007
phone: (212) 788-6981
fax: (718) 544-4452
NYS Assembly
Hon. Michael A. Simanowitz
simanowitzm@assembly.state.ny.us
District Office Address 159-06 71st Avenue
Flushing NY, 11365
phone: (718) 969-1508
fax: (718) 969-8326
Albany Office LOB, Room 818
Albany NY, 12248
phone: (518) 455-4404
fax: (518) 455-5408
NYS Senate
Hon. James Sanders, Jr.
Sanders@nysenate.gov
District Office Address 142-01 Rockaway Boulevard
South Ozone Park NY , 11436
phone: (718) 523-3069
fax: (718) 523-3670
Albany Office Room 508, Legislative Office Building
Albany NY , 12247
phone: (518) 455-3531
fax: (518) 426-0529
US Congress
Hon. Gregory W. Meeks

District Office 153-01 Jamaica Ave., 2nd Floor
Jamaica NY , 11432
phone: (718) 725-6000
fax: (718) 725-9868
Legislative Office 2234 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington DC, 20515
phone: (202) 225-3461
fax: (202) 226-4169
Boro President
Hon. Melinda Katz
Info@queensbp.org
  
Mayor
Hon. Bill de Blasio
  

History

In 1869, New York attorney Albon Platt Man purchased the Lefferts and Wellings Farms in West Jamaica, an area settled before the Revolutionary War. Envisioning a garden spot and refuge from city life in Manhattan, he recruited landscape architect Edward Richmond to help lay out his proposed community. It was one of the city’s first planned garden communities. All streets were well laid out with trees planted on both sides. When Edward Richmond died in 1870, real estate developer, Oliver Fowler, became Man’s partner. Lefferts Avenue, now Lefferts Boulevard, became the main thoroughfare.

Man called this new community Richmond Hill. “Richmond Hill” was also the name given to the 138 foot hill located north of Metropolitan Avenue on 116th Street. The name is believed to come from the London suburb of Richmond Hill, although some sources claim that it was named after Edward Richmond, the developer. Kew Gardens, originally North Richmond Hill, was established later in 1912. It was named after the town of Kew, England, near Richmond Hill, where the Royal Botanical Gardens are located.

Albon Man who developed Richmond Hill and his sons who later developed Kew Gardens generously donated property to the community for churches, schools, country clubs, and the Long Island Railroad Station.

Richmond Hill expanded to 400 acres when Man purchased the Bergen, Robertson, and Hendrickson Farms. The first house was built in 1869. In 1872 (considered the official “founding” of the community), the first Post Office was established and Public School 8 opened. In 1874, Richmond Hill’s first church, the Episcopal Church of the Resurrection was built. In 1875 Maple Grove Cemetery was created and the Long Island Railroad built its Richmond Hill Station at the corner of Myrtle Avenue and Lefferts Boulevard. Forest Park was created in 1894.

In 1895, Richmond Hill, Morris Park, and Clarenceville consolidated as the Village of Richmond Hill. The incorporation of the village was the outcome of an association of about 100 prominent citizens known as the Citizens’ Non-Partisan League. Alrick H. Man, the son of Albon Platt Man, became the first village president.

Between 1895 and 1898 the Richmond Hill Golf Course and Country Club was built in North Richmond Hill, the first Police Force was organized, Richmond Hill High School was founded, streets were graded, sidewalks laid, and street lights furnished. Stores opened along Jamaica and Atlantic Avenues.

In 1898, the Village of Richmond Hill, together with Queens County became part of New York City. In 1899, the Richmond Hill Free Library was founded. By 1905 there were between 12,000 and 15,000 houses in Richmond Hill. Many of these homes were built in the Queen Anne Victorian style.

In 1910, the Long Island Railroad opened a new station called “Kew” in North Richmond Hill on the site of what was once Crystal Lake. The neighborhood surrounding the station, then called Kew, separated from Richmond Hill in 1912. It was re-named Kew Gardens when the Kew Gardens Corporation was formed by the sons of Albon Man.

In 1917, the elevated line of the New York City subway system was extended along Jamaica Avenue to 111th Street, and in 1918 it was extended to 168th Street.

By the 1920s the terrain of Kew Gardens had been cleared, graded and built into the Kew Gardens Housing Development. It was considered a prime residential community. The private homes were designed in various Beaux-Arts Revival styles. Luxury apartment houses were built as well as the Kew Gardens Country Club, the First Church of Kew Gardens, P.S.99, and the Kew Gardens Inn.

A neo-Tudor village center with stores was built near the Kew Gardens railroad station. Lefferts Boulevard and Metropolitan Avenue became the main commercial strips.

The Union Turnpike/Kew Gardens subway stop on the Independent Line was opened in 1936. Queens Borough Hall, built in 1940, was Queens County’s first dedicated Borough Hall. The Queens Criminal Courthouse, adjacent to Queens Borough Hall, was completed in 1961.

Today, the communities of Richmond Hill and Kew Gardens are well established with houses of worship, private and public schools, clubs, active social and political groups, banks, restaurants, supermarkets, and a movie theatre.

More information about the communities of Richmond Hill and Kew Gardens is available from the following sources:

Websites

A Picture History of Kew Gardens: www.oldkewgardens.com
Richmond Hill Historical Society: www.richmondhillhistory.org

Books

Images of America: Richmond Hill by Carl Ballenas and Nancy Cataldi
Kew Gardens: Urban Village in the Big City by Barry Lewis

A Peek at Richmond Hill through the History of Time by William Krooss

The Story of Richmond Hill by Kate Matson Post
Richmond Hill: A Children’s tale and Coloring Book by Carl Ballenas

Victorian Richmond Hill by the Queens Historical Society

The Richmond Hill Free Library was founded on April 8, 1899, by the Twentieth Century Club, an organization of Richmond Hill women who had originally come together as Red Cross Auxiliary No. 71 during the Spanish-American War. The idea for creating this library was initiated by Ella J. Flanders. The library was housed in Arcanum Hall on Jamaica Avenue and the southwest corner of 116 Street. The library opened with 991 donated books and circulated 158 items the first day. The first librarian was Harriet Easby. For many years after it was formed, the library was known as “the child of the Twentieth Century Club.”

On January 1, 1901 the library became a branch of the Queens Borough Public Library.

In 1902, the library relocated to the old Congregational Church building on Park Street (Hillside Avenue). The present Carnegie building was completed in 1904. A gift from Andrew Carnegie, it was designed by the Jamaica firm of Tuthill and Higgins and was built on land donated by the Man family. The opening ceremonies were held on July 1, 1905. The area around the new building became known as Library Square.

In 1929, the building was closed for construction. It re-opened October 1,1930 with an expanded children’s room. From 1933 to 1936 the building was expanded under the Civil Works Administration. A new auditorium, a large reading room addition, and an extension of the children’s room were the major renovations. Until March 1939 rooms in the library’s basement were occupied by the WPA’s carpentry and machine shops. In April, they were taken over by the library’s Binding Department.

The Story of Richmond Hill, a 160 square foot mural painted by Philip Evergood, was commissioned by the WPA’s Federal Arts Project. Started in 1936, it was completed in 1938. The mural’s image is divided into two parts. The right part depicts a dingy, congested city, and the left a vision of an ideal rural community.

In 1961, the building was closed for extensive rehabilitation. During that time bookmobile service was provided every Monday from 10 to noon and 1-5 PM. The library re-opened on April 11, 1962. Improvements included a new roof, aluminum windows, asphalt tile flooring and a waterproofing of the exterior. A remodeled vestibule added 100 square feet to the public service area.

The archives (called “the morgue”) for the defunct New York Herald Tribune was housed in the library’s basement from the early 70s until 1986. It was regularly visited by scholars and researchers.

In 1979, a Rose Garden was organized by the Friendship Rose Society (Chapter of the National American Rose Society). It was the only Community Rose Garden in Queens. The Rose Garden won awards in the Mollie Parnis Dress Up Your Neighborhood Contest in 1980, 1981, and 1983.

The library was severely damaged by fire on February 11, 1984. Service to the public continued in a mini-branch in the Children’s Room during renovations. The ceiling was repaired, a ramp was built, a new blueprint for the garden was drawn up by the City’s landscape architect, new floors and new shelving were installed, and new furniture was ordered. The renovated library re-opened on August 3, 1986, with a ribbon-cutting ceremony attended by the community, library personnel, and elected officials.

On November 2, 1996, the Queensmark Award was presented to the library by the Queens Historical Society in a ceremony held at the branch. This award recognizes structures of outstanding historical and architectural merit.

The Richmond Hill Historical Society presented a new Flag Pole to the library on June 14, 2003, with a ceremony on Hillside Avenue recreating the original 1910 presentation by Jacob Riis, and, in 2004, they presented the library with a Historical Plaque.

Special Services

Queens Library HealthLink

 

According to the American Cancer Society, approximately one of two American men and one of three American women will have some type of cancer at some point during their lifetime. Queens Library HealthLink seeks to increase access to cancer screening and cancer treatment among medically underserved communities in Queens. Queens Library HealthLink is a partnership between Queens Library, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, Queens Cancer Center of Queens Hospital and the American Cancer Society.