National Friends of Libraries Week is October 19 – 25. It is a national recognition celebrating the people who volunteer their time to advocate for and raise funds for their local libraries. Queens Library has 29 Chapters of the Friends of the Library, with more than 1,600 Friends. Friends create so much value in their communities, ...
Have a fun filled weekend at Queens Library with a celebration of Deepavali, Halloween hijinks, contemporary Brazilian Jazz, an author talk, a Hip Hop, Jazz, and Dance Extravaganza, and a zany musical set in the 1920s!
Looking for new music? Look no further than your local Queens Library! Every month, our expert staff will bring you the best of what's new in our collection. This month features Iggy Azalea, Boy George, JoDee Messina, and more!
QUEENS LIBRARY EXPANDS LENDING FREE GOOGLE TABLETS
Queens Library will begin lending Google Tablets from the community library at 108-19 71st Avenue in Forest Hills on October 22, 2014 and from the Flushing Library at 41-17 Main Street at Kissena Boulevard on October 29, 2014. Additional libraries will begin lending them in the coming weeks. Loans are free with a Queens Library card. ...
In 1923 thirty-nine year old Henry Schloh, Charlie I. Hausmann, and their partners formed the Rego Construction Company. “Rego” was derived from Schloh’s description of “Real Good” homes. The company built, until the Depression (1929), single-family row houses, multi-family residences, and apartment building residences. Between the Long Island Railroad (south), Queens Blvd. (north), Woodhaven Blvd (west), and 63rd Drive (east) 525 eight-room wooden houses, costing $8,000 each, formed the heart of Schloh’s venture.
In 1925, Rego Park Community and Civic Club opened. In 1926, first Rego Park stores were built on Queens Blvd. In 1929, P.S. 139 was built at 63rd Drive and Austin Street. Two years later, the first services of Lutheran Church of Our Savior were held; the church moved to its present location on 63rd Drive and Wetherole Street location in 1931. The Rego Park Jewish Center opened on 63rd Drive, off of Wetherole Street. After some movement, it opened at 97-30 Queens Boulevard in 1947. In 1939-1940 the World’s Fair brought further development: apartments filled the remaining open land on 99th St and on Queens Blvd.
From 1970 Rego Park has attracted many immigrants from the former Soviet Union, as well as from various Asian countries.
In 1930, the Library bookmobile began to serve the Rego Park community. In 1938 it became a storefront facility and eighteen years later, in 1956, it became a branch Library. In 1960, an enlarged and expanded storefront agency opened. Unfortunately, in February 20, 1972, a fire completely destroyed the library. After this devastation, an interim bookmobile service was provided to the community. In 1975, a new city-owned building opened, at 91-41 63rd Drive, Rego Park, 11374. In April 1989, the library underwent major renovations to improve service to the community.
Source: The Encyclopedia of New York; edited by Kenneth T. Jackson