Queens Library's Langston Hughes Community Library and Cultural Center proudly presents “America is a Dream… A Tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.” Please join us to learn about the struggle for civil rights and enjoy this all-day blend of speakers, film, dramatic presentation and live music on Saturday, April 4, ...
Queens Library, Brooklyn Public Library and the New York Public Library have come together to let Mayor De Blasio and the New York City Council know that NYC’s librariesneed more funding to stay open more hours and address our capital needs.
Many bands will enter but only one will be chosen as the winner of the first ever Teen Battle of the Bands. Come and watch local teen bands battle. Join us at the Flushing branch on April 7, 5-7 PM. For FREE tickets and more information, click here.
The search is on! Borough President Melinda Katz, Queens College and Queens Library are partnering together to find the next Queens Poet Laureate, who will be charged with promoting a love of poetry and literacy throughout our borough.
Queens Library is happy to join the Poet Laureate partnership for the first time this year, and ...
Are you interested in the NYPD Police Officer Entrance Examination? The NYPD Recruitment Section is offering a free tutorial program at the Central Library for all applicants who are interested in taking the exam.
Police Officer instructors will offer applicants helpful test-taking skills and strategies so you can achieve your ...
In 1923 thirty-nine year old Henry Schloh, Charlie I. Hausmann, and their partners formed the Rego Construction Company. “Rego” was derived from Schloh’s description of “Real Good” homes. The company built, until the Depression (1929), single-family row houses, multi-family residences, and apartment building residences. Between the Long Island Railroad (south), Queens Blvd. (north), Woodhaven Blvd (west), and 63rd Drive (east) 525 eight-room wooden houses, costing $8,000 each, formed the heart of Schloh’s venture.
In 1925, Rego Park Community and Civic Club opened. In 1926, first Rego Park stores were built on Queens Blvd. In 1929, P.S. 139 was built at 63rd Drive and Austin Street. Two years later, the first services of Lutheran Church of Our Savior were held; the church moved to its present location on 63rd Drive and Wetherole Street location in 1931. The Rego Park Jewish Center opened on 63rd Drive, off of Wetherole Street. After some movement, it opened at 97-30 Queens Boulevard in 1947. In 1939-1940 the World’s Fair brought further development: apartments filled the remaining open land on 99th St and on Queens Blvd.
From 1970 Rego Park has attracted many immigrants from the former Soviet Union, as well as from various Asian countries.
In 1930, the Library bookmobile began to serve the Rego Park community. In 1938 it became a storefront facility and eighteen years later, in 1956, it became a branch Library. In 1960, an enlarged and expanded storefront agency opened. Unfortunately, in February 20, 1972, a fire completely destroyed the library. After this devastation, an interim bookmobile service was provided to the community. In 1975, a new city-owned building opened, at 91-41 63rd Drive, Rego Park, 11374. In April 1989, the library underwent major renovations to improve service to the community.
Source: The Encyclopedia of New York; edited by Kenneth T. Jackson