Join us this weekend for the Langston Hughes Literary Arts Festival, a Lincoln Center Local screening of a holiday classic, writing workshops, a public speaking class, Friend Speed Dating, an interview with Haitian artist Francois Gracia, Japanese classical dance, our Sunday Concerts @ Central tribute to Motown with singer Roz Brown, and ...
Video visitation is a free program offered at libraries across the city that connects a live video feed between participating library locations and NYC Department of Corrections facilities, allowing incarcerated New Yorkers to talk, read, and share stories together with their loved ...
In 1923 thirty-nine year old Henry Schloh, Charlie I. Hausmann, and their partners formed the Rego Construction Company. “Rego” was derived from Schloh’s description of “Real Good” homes. The company built, until the Depression (1929), single-family row houses, multi-family residences, and apartment building residences. Between the Long Island Railroad (south), Queens Blvd. (north), Woodhaven Blvd (west), and 63rd Drive (east) 525 eight-room wooden houses, costing $8,000 each, formed the heart of Schloh’s venture.
In 1925, Rego Park Community and Civic Club opened. In 1926, first Rego Park stores were built on Queens Blvd. In 1929, P.S. 139 was built at 63rd Drive and Austin Street. Two years later, the first services of Lutheran Church of Our Savior were held; the church moved to its present location on 63rd Drive and Wetherole Street location in 1931. The Rego Park Jewish Center opened on 63rd Drive, off of Wetherole Street. After some movement, it opened at 97-30 Queens Boulevard in 1947. In 1939-1940 the World’s Fair brought further development: apartments filled the remaining open land on 99th St and on Queens Blvd.
From 1970 Rego Park has attracted many immigrants from the former Soviet Union, as well as from various Asian countries.
In 1930, the Library bookmobile began to serve the Rego Park community. In 1938 it became a storefront facility and eighteen years later, in 1956, it became a branch Library. In 1960, an enlarged and expanded storefront agency opened. Unfortunately, in February 20, 1972, a fire completely destroyed the library. After this devastation, an interim bookmobile service was provided to the community. In 1975, a new city-owned building opened, at 91-41 63rd Drive, Rego Park, 11374. In April 1989, the library underwent major renovations to improve service to the community.
Source: The Encyclopedia of New York; edited by Kenneth T. Jackson