Friends of Library - Queensboro Hill Chapter. Contact Community Library Manager at (718) 359-8332 or Office of Government and Community Affairs (GCA) at (718) 990-0817 if you are interested in joining.
Queensboro Hill is a relatively small and ethnically diverse residential community situated on the main line between Flushing and Jamaica. In the past, it was a section composed of large farms. The esteemed names of Whitson, Bowne and Elliot are part of the history of Queensboro Hill. The site now occupied by the library was once called “Ireland Hill” after a grist mill on Flushing Creek. Wheat or corn grown on the hill was carted down the hill to be ground at the mill. Later the neighborhood changed its name to Spring Hill, most likely after the well-known Spring Hill residence of Gov. Cadwallader Colden.
The name Queensboro Hill was adopted around 1900. In 1930, Queensboro Hill was described in the yearly report of the Book Bus as “a small community entirely cut off from any other community – the school (P.S. 120) is the center of activity." That center was soon to be replaced by the new Queensboro Hill Library.
The history of book borrowing in Queensboro Hill goes back to 1930 when the Book Bus began to operate in Queens and Queensboro Hill was one of its original stops. At the end of the first year the circulation had reached 2,680 items and there were 146 borrowers, only 3 of whom were adults. The circulation continued to grow with the community and when a small building erected by the city for the comfort of World’s Fair visitors was found to be impracticable it was offered to the QBPL. The building was solidly built, spacious and located in an attractively landscaped plot. Alterations were completed from funds allotted by the Works Progress Administration and $1,000 was allowed from corporate funds for furniture and equipment. Shelves were installed to accommodate 4,500 volumes and $3,000 was allocated by the Board of Trustees for the purchase of books. In November 1940 Queensboro Hill branch opened in the presence of the Borough President and several members of the Board of Trustees. The new building boasted a separate children’s room, sturdy Library Bureau furniture and an oil burner. During the first 8 months the branch circulated 17,444 volumes and registered 739 new customers. By the end of 1944 Queensboro Hill library had 1,254 registered borrowers.
On June 14, 1982, a modern, city-owned, library building opened for service.
On 60th Avenue, there are 2-hour parking meters on the left side of the library; you can also park further down 60th Avenue on the street without meters. Some people park on the Horace Harding Expressway service road.