QUEENS LIBRARY EXPANDS LENDING FREE GOOGLE TABLETS
Queens Library will begin lending Google Tablets from the community library at 108-19 71st Avenue in Forest Hills on October 22, 2014 and from the Flushing Library at 41-17 Main Street at Kissena Boulevard on October 29, 2014. Additional libraries will begin lending them in the coming weeks. Loans are free with a Queens Library card. ...
National Friends of Libraries Week is October 19 – 25. It is a national recognition celebrating the people who volunteer their time to advocate for and raise funds for their local libraries. Queens Library has 29 Chapters of the Friends of the Library, with more than 1,600 Friends. Friends create so much value in their communities, ...
Looking for new music? Look no further than your local Queens Library! Every month, our expert staff will bring you the best of what's new in our collection. This month features Iggy Azalea, Boy George, JoDee Messina, and more!
McGoldrick Community Library is located in the Murray Hill section of Flushing (also known as Broadway-Flushing). It occupies an eastern corner of North Flushing. Broadway was the original name of Northern Boulevard. Before the area was developed it consisted mostly of nurseries owned by families named Parsons, King and Murray. This area was developed in1889, and in April of that year, the Murray Hill LIRR station was built on 150th Street and 41st Ave.
McGoldrick Community Library has had many different locations. Originally in 1911 service was provided from a small traveling station- unfortunately it closed in 1916 because of low circulation. In 1925 library service was started again but then closed two years later since adequate space for the library could not be found. In 1930, the library was established as the Broadway-Flushing library.
In July 1931, the library moved to a building on 162nd street and Broadway. During this time the name of the library was changed to McGoldrick to honor the late Reverend Edward F. McGoldrick, a local pastor and library trustee.
The library was moved twice to two different locations on Depot Road over the next 40 years, until 1974 when the library moved to its present location on 155th street and Roosevelt Avenue. The library serves a residential diversified community including Chinese, Korean and Spanish populations and has many materials available to the customers in their home language.