Queens Library's Langston Hughes Community Library and Cultural Center proudly presents “America is a Dream… A Tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.” Please join us to learn about the struggle for civil rights and enjoy this all-day blend of speakers, film, dramatic presentation and live music on Saturday, April 4, ...
Queens Library, Brooklyn Public Library and the New York Public Library have come together to let Mayor De Blasio and the New York City Council know that NYC’s librariesneed more funding to stay open more hours and address our capital needs.
Many bands will enter but only one will be chosen as the winner of the first ever Teen Battle of the Bands. Come and watch local teen bands battle. Join us at the Flushing branch on April 7, 5-7 PM. For FREE tickets and more information, click here.
The search is on! Borough President Melinda Katz, Queens College and Queens Library are partnering together to find the next Queens Poet Laureate, who will be charged with promoting a love of poetry and literacy throughout our borough.
Queens Library is happy to join the Poet Laureate partnership for the first time this year, and ...
Are you interested in the NYPD Police Officer Entrance Examination? The NYPD Recruitment Section is offering a free tutorial program at the Central Library for all applicants who are interested in taking the exam.
Police Officer instructors will offer applicants helpful test-taking skills and strategies so you can achieve your ...
The Matinecock Indians sold Flushing to the Dutch Colonists in the 1620s at the rate of one ax per 50 acres. The Dutch named it “Vlissingen,” after a port in Holland. It meant “flowing water.”
In 1657, the document called the Flushing Remonstrance, was signed by the Dutch colonists giving the Quakers and others the right to worship as they chose. The principles stipulated in the Remonstrance foresaw the freedom of religion in the U.S. Constitution. The English began ruling in 1664 and changed the name to Flushing.
Because of the abundance of trees in Flushing, the first commercial nurseries in America were organized here in the 1700s. A town hall was built in 1864 and it has been used as an opera house, police station, jail, and a dinner theater.
There have been two World’s Fairs in Flushing, one in 1939 and the other in 1964.
In the early to mid-1900s Irish, Germans and Italians resided in Flushing; but after 1965, Greeks, Chinese, Korean, and Hispanic immigrants started moving in. The formerly tree-lined pastoral town has become an important international residential and commercial center.
At first the new East Flushing Branch of the Queens Borough Public Library was set to open on November 1, 1975; but due to budget cuts it was unachievable to staff the additional branch. In 1977 a recent influx of federally financed CETA employees made it attainable for the East Flushing Branch to open for service on Monday, September 19, 1977 at 1:00pm. Previously this community had no library service, except for weekly visits by a bookmobile.