Borrow eBooks and Audiobooks for free! Queens Library offers a variety of methods to access digital books and articles in any language for all age groups. eBooks can be used on a variety of devices such as PCs, laptops, and supported PDAs.
Axis 360 delivers digital Audiobooks and eBooks for library users in ...
Mayor de Blasio has released his executive budget. The proposed budget for operating expenses does not include an increase for libraries. There is not one extra dollar to keep library doors open six days a week or to put books on the shelves, not a penny. In fact, the ...
Join the action this summer and have a blast at the Summer Reading Program at Queens Library. This summer celebrate real-life and fictional heroes, cool books, popular fantasy and graphic novels to the latest in your favorite series.
Submit Your eBook to Library Journal's eBook Awards Contest
The Library Journal will honor the best self-published ebooks in the following genres: Romance, Mystery, Science Fiction, Fantasy. There will be a winner in each genre and each winner will receive $1,000.00 USD from Library Journal.
The earliest known inhabitants of Bay Terrace were the Matinecock Native Americans, a tribe of the Algonquin nation. The tribal name Matinecock, meaning "hilly country", described the surrounding landscape, an area that may have been given to the tribe by the neighboring Lenapes.
In 1639, Dutch Governor Willem Kieft purchased the land from the Matinecock that today encompasses Queens County. William Lawrence, who served as a magistrate under the Dutch and English administrations, was granted a parcel of land by King Charles II in 1645 that included a large portion of what is today the areas of Bayside, Whitestone, Fort Totten and College Point. Bayside developed from an agricultural community to a suburb when the North Shore Railroad was extended in 1866. During the following several decades, the Bayside Land Association purchased farms for development. Bay Terrace, originally included within the bounds of Bayside, remained composed of farms and large estates until the 1950s, when Cord and Charles Meyer sold their 225-acre farm for development.
Bay Terrace was the name given in 1953 to the cooperative housing development built by the Norman K. Winston-Holzer Associates, because of its proximity to Little Neck Bay.
On February 20, 1981, the Bay Terrace library opened in the modern city-owned building at the present site.